P2 self test question

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I have an ECG-P2 that I am playing with to test some newer forms of pixel stuff and have a question about the self test function on it. I have two strips of 2812B hooked up to the unit, 1 strip of 150 pixels hooked up to output 1 and 1 strip of 150 pixels hooked up to output 2. When I turn power on, the unit will power up with the strips coming on somewhat random and then they will come on full but output number one will turn the strip on and then step one pixel white through the strip while all the other pixels will run through a red, green, blue cycle as the one pixel that is white “steps” along the strip. Output number two however turns 5 pixels white and then steps through the red, green, blue stepping while a group of 5 pixels runs along white. The group of 5 white ones will turn off the trailing one of 5 and turn on the next leading one of 5 as it steps along? Is this the “normal” way for the self test to run on this unit or if there something that I am missing? It does this with strips or strings and whether they are 2811, 2812B, APA104, or APA106 style of pixels (which all are “supposed” to run under the 2811 protocols). I have version 2.7 firmware on the P2.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
yes that is a normal test for it so you know that both outputs are working and what universe each section is on

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Seems like it is somewhat flaky then as I have output 2 set up for universe 2 at this point?

Do you have any listing of what the self test should be for each output depending on how things are set up in the P2? That would be a nice to know piece of information.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
sorry beeeii not unless I write one and that is not going to happen

in test mode it sees it as output 2 universe 2 so it will do it different to output 1 universe 2

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Okay then, so now that you have told me that it is "normal" but with no information to show what is "normal" to go with is there somewhere that this information is available to the general public to see?

Or has someone written this up to show others who might like to know what the outputs are doing?

This is one of the biggest drawbacks to using the J1Sys product for a lot of people who want to get using it. I have had conversations with folks who want to buy this stuff but end up going with SanDevices units instead just because they are leery of buying something that has little or information available to do hook up or operation of it and there are a lot more people who are putting out info on the SanDevices equipment it seems.
Sad as Ed is working on some very fine stuff for the hobby and it really deserves better documentation and explanation for the masses.
Yes I know that this is DIY, but when the only thing you can find (most of the time) is a video that roughly explains how to hook up the unit then it is pretty lacking!

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
I have seen the videos and don't need that as I know how to hook the unit up.

I am just frustrated by your answer that really does not answer my question at all! No fault or blame to you although you say that you do know the how the outputs are "supposed" to act:

sorry beeeii not unless I write one and that is not going to happen

in test mode it sees it as output 2 universe 2 so it will do it different to output 1 universe 2

different - how?
What would it do if output 2 is set to universe 4?
What does output 1 do if set to another universe?

Are you seeing what I mean? Many others are frustrated by this lack of info as well trust me.

So how are people supposed to learn about any of this stuff if the people who actually know about it will not take the time to write up information about it?
I wanted to actually write up manuals about some of Ed's equipment but I get everyone telling me to "go for it" or "Boy that would be a great thing" and yet no one provides actual data that is necessary to make a manual really functional and informative. The lack of information that those who have found out about this stuff but will not provide it unless someone twists their wrists is troubling to me and has given me pause to reconsider bothering with getting information out to others. I am learning about this stuff as well and want to share what I find when I can so that others don't have to make the same mistakes or waste time trying to figure things out.

Yea, I could write up a ton of pages with useless drivel and tons of pictures with arrows pointing to connector blocks but that alone is not real information or stuff that can help someone who is starting out or has a problem with things.
I wrote procedures, updates, and operation manuals for the Air Force when I was in and you can't get more detailed than a military manual trust me. Those things used to take 4 or 5 pages just to tell someone how to remove 2 bolts, open a panel, and remove a gauge for gods sake! So I do understand the necessity for better information and manuals although these certainly don't need to be anywhere near as detailed.
Sorry to rant but it bugs me!!!

Benslights

Dedicated elf
could not agree more if I get time this year. (with 3 kids under 6 and doing up the house ready for sale )

I will try and write some manuals for Ed.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Well for anyone who wants to know how the self test works, I got an answer from Ed at J1Sys on the test setup function!
"The first port can do 4 universes so the test pattern is set for 1 white, 2 white on pixel 171, 3 white on pixel 341, 4 white on pixel 511.

The second port then starts with universe 5 so it does 5 whites, 6 whites on pixel 171, 7 whites on pixel 341, 8 whites on pixel 511.
It rotates R G B on the strings and then walks 1-8 whites down the strings."

At least now we know and can use this as a function to test pixels on the P2!

As an update to this, Ed has informed me that the P12D also uses a similar test pattern:

Same pattern, 1 white on string 1, 2 white on string 2 ….. 12 white on string 12

So now you know how the P12 works as well!