P5 Build

Baron

Apprentice elf
Hello I’m looking to build an outdoor P5 panel next year that is 8x7 panels. Is there a build list of things I need to buy out there? Thanks for your help.

jollyzee

New elf
You may want to try here
I know others are also selling panels, but I found this and you can get everything you need without guessing. I guessed last year and missed a few things
Hope this helps

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I've bought a lot of things from wired watts this year to build out my first show and recommend them greatly. There are currently 10 indoor P5 panels and 4 outdoor P5 panels from them on my for next year pile of parts.

Just something to take into account, when ordering panels they say to order a couple extra panels from the same batch as to keep color consistency. Sometimes there can be slight color variations between panel runs. Also, while doing panel tests I've found it useful to have longer cables available to make wiring some things easier.

Dean

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I use this to waterproof the front https://boscoyostudio.com/product/clear-polycarbonate-sheet/

This to waterproof the back https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190

This to make the frame (with a few supports) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda...lular-White-PVC-Trim-Board-H190OWS4/313888491

A nice member here helped me out with the mounting strips (nobody offers them for outdoor P5's) I would highly recommend the outdoor P5's from LysonLED

This is a DIY project. Lots of ways to do it. Pic of mine if it helps P5 2020.jpeg

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I use this to waterproof the front https://boscoyostudio.com/product/clear-polycarbonate-sheet/

This to waterproof the back https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-16-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-Plastic-Panel-63003/202090190

This to make the frame (with a few supports) https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda...lular-White-PVC-Trim-Board-H190OWS4/313888491

A nice member here helped me out with the mounting strips (nobody offers them for outdoor P5's) I would highly recommend the outdoor P5's from LysonLED

This is a DIY project. Lots of ways to do it. Pic of mine if it helps View attachment 19350
So, how do you put that away every year? :)

Iain

Full time elf
Mind if I jump in on this thread? What’s the advantage of this sort of panel pictured vs just using strings of pixels plugged in with pigtails to each other/your controller?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
In my opinion, it would be a better image quality and the fact that the panels can be closer to the viewers if needed. Both still require a lot of power and wiring done in different ways.

Dean

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
If your using outdoor panels don't weather proof the front they need natural ventilation.

Just a warning from personal experience with using polycarbonate / perspex for a front cover to a matrix. I'm not sure what the weather is like in your area but if it is warm and humid no doubt it will destroy your panels.
Here in NSW (AUS) where summer can get to 45*C the perspex acts like a giant magnifying glass making the surface of the black panels more than ambient and the plastic in between the led's will melt and deform the panel.

I would be looking for Lyson Panels and using colorlight control cards for the panels as they give the best colour. I wrote a guide a little while ago that may put you in the right direction ( a little outdated now but really the only difference is the version of FPP)
Just swap out the indoor panels with outdoor ones and double the power supplies as the outdoors use way more power.

jollyzee

New elf
Mind if I jump in on this thread? What’s the advantage of this sort of panel pictured vs just using strings of pixels plugged in with pigtails to each other/your controller?
Like Indigogyre said, it gives better video and image quality, because it's denser, that is short of using a TV. Personally, I have only a 2x2 P5 (will be expanding to 3 wide x 4 high for next year) and being set back from the street it works for me. Easier then hanging a flat screen TV also. Just mho

Iain

Full time elf
My problem will be waterproofing the whole thing against monsoonal rain coming in from all directions, including stopping a wood frame from rotting. Given the heat-magnifying effect of covering the whole thing in perspex I was thinking boscoyo strips, and waterproof bullets.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
My problem will be waterproofing the whole thing against monsoonal rain coming in from all directions, including stopping a wood frame from rotting. Given the heat-magnifying effect of covering the whole thing in perspex I was thinking boscoyo strips, and waterproof bullets.
If you are thinking of making an outdoor panel I would recommend talking to Troy from ELD to see if you can workout a backing plate which the panels mount to. Then you can build a frame around it.

Daryl might be be able to comment on how well the panels seal with the supplied gasket when he undertook a hose test.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
As for rotting you might want to look into PVC trim boards to use for the frame. If nothing else you could trim out a wooden frame to prevent it from having direct contact with moisture.

Dean