Perth RDC Lights

Binkles

Full time elf
I've been given permission for people to come and see the lights at night at work.

The address is 20 Colquhoun Road - Perth Airport. Easiest way to get there is off tonkin hwy onto Horrie Miller, and then at the first round about hang a right. and follow it around until you get to the staff carpark.

You can go into the car park, but please ensure that you reverse park, and remember that this is still a place of work, and production is likely to still be going when you visit - we are pretty much 24 hours.

Go towards to security gates, and on the right is a button that you can press for the guardhouse. They will let you in, and advise where you can watch - if they offer the grass area - that is the best location.

If you can bring a donation of a can for donation that would be great - we are collecting for Salvation Army.

Lights generally turn on around 7:15 at the moment, but will start getting later as the sun sets.

Ensure as you leave you remind the guard to lift the boom gate to get out.

Best night is Saturday night. There are less trucks around, and generally a bit quieter.

Please ensure you follow the guards instructions at all times. If there is any difficulty, or issues that affect production, the site has been told to shut down the lights.

The show is around 12 minutes in length. There are 4 songs.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
First of all obviously well done looks awesomeness and I adore and am very jealous of the matrix and star on the left hand side yes wow ! As myself I don't have a wall big enough ! Secondly geez ! Is this part of your job status for you're employer, again wow ! And thirdly if answer too 2nd question is yes , Oh my lord ! No wife to say , why,when, and how too and what for ! (Definetly no disrespect too our beatiful ladys !)
But yes unfortunately cant run across the nullarbor at this time as have in the past !
But would come an see
Hats off too ya well done.

Binkles

Full time elf
I showed work the little display I did last year, and said I can’t really do much as our lease normally expires in November. They offered to do something there this year. It’s been a massive learning curve, multiple power supplies, different boards, and also only having two live tests has been incredibly stressful. But worth it.

It was hard on wifey, the switch on was on her birthday, so she still had to make sacrifices, but supports me greatly. Both her, and my daughter are deaf, so was a way to put music to lights.

She even made some graphics for a couple of the songs for me.

I may not of had a wife give me grief, but my original plan did not have the star, or the 5m strips. The 5m strips were for something different, but was a logistical nightmare. So when I was handed the specs on the star I was not happy, I had no model in xlights and had to come up with a way to do the star, and program it in 3 weeks.

I hated it, and didn’t want it at all. Yet when I saw it live.... I wish it was more prominent, and that I had done more with it. It’s my favourite part.

The small matrix was originally 20x20, but we increased it to 25x25. Made a huge difference.

Everything is over engineered, and heavy, but it won’t fall apart, and when stored will make it easy for next year.

After Christmas, im going to delve more into xlights, morphing etc etc etc. I haven’t been able to attend any of the online sessions etc, which has made it hard as well.