Piano Effect - How To

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
As requested earlier today on chat.
I've drafted a quick How To use the Piano effect in Xlights, with information supplied by keith the other day.

I'll make a video as well when I get the chance.

feel free to make any changes if you see something wrong, and then repost

7:30pm - Updated document following question from Brad

Attachments

• Piano Effect in xLights.doc
    249 KB · Views: 230

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Some adds ...

Polyphonic transcription is essentially trying to unscramble an egg on pretty much every song bar one that is a pure piano with no chords. So your results are not going to look anything like the sheet music.

Consequently I would generally create my notes track by using note onsets to rough out the timing track then manually adjust note timings as necessary. To add the notes double click on a timing interval and enter the name of the note(s) that should be played. When multiple notes are played separate them with a comma. Notes can either be the midi code, the letter A-G with sharps or flats. For notes outside the 4th octave you can also add the octave number. So C, C4 and 60 are all the same note ... middle C.

Boof63

Senior elf
if you turn the piano effect 90 degrees Cw or CCW then your megatree becomes a lot more notes
ie 12 string x 25pix, standard = 12 strings=12 notes, go to layer settings tab/box > click on buffer tab> click on transformation and choose your rotation,
This runs the notes across the megatree and up/down the tree.
In my case i have split the music across two trees, i set the midi channels on the piano effect for a low and high ranges ie 30-55 and 56-81.
Hope this helps
Cheers Boof63 :D

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
That's a great tip @Boof63 especially for those with multiple megatrees, or I guess multiple matrices.
If you don't mind I'll add it to the document, with credit.

Boof63

Senior elf
Pleasure to help out OzAs, took me sometime to nut his out, so if it can speed up someone else, then please add and thanks for the info yourself, pat on the back to you.
Cheers Boof63 :D :D

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
keithsw1111 said:
Have you considered contacting Steve Giron and contributing it to the manual?
No I hadn't, if you think it's worthwhile how do I contact him

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
built a 16*50, 3" spacing pixel matrix over the last 4 days, here's a short video demonstrating piano effect, including an option Brad asked about. Oh, and a short obligatory butterfly effect. :)

https://vimeo.com/209351212

Boof63

Senior elf
very nice result, what is the mesh you are using for the node placement please
Cheers Boof63 :D

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The process for generating a timing track for the piano effect has been simplified a bit with the better integration of Audacity into xlights.
Now it's just necessary to right click on the timing track section of a sequence, import notes, select polyphonic transcription as the notes source, click OK and you'll now have a "Notes" timing track.