Pigtail type - which do you use and what is most readily available

janastas

Full time elf
So I've read through the 101 manual and looked around on the forums and was wondering which type of pigtail connectors do most of you use?

I currently have some 4 core ray wu pigtails I'm using but I'm assuming I'll have to stick to ray wu if I solder these up going forward and use the corresonpding ray wu power injection tees as well

Is there a particular brand that is found across all the suppliers that sell pigtails?

From what I can tell there's these types of connectors:
  • x-connect
  • ray wu / scott led / rita lighting
  • Paul zhang
I suppose I want to use something that is futureproof going forward and I can find from different sellers.

TerryK

Retired Elf
xConnect are the ones that seem to be presently gaining in popularity. Next in line I think are the Ray Wu connectors. For a onesie twosie quick connect there are adapter cables available.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Ray Wu but I'm open to another one. Nothing wrong with Ray Wu ones but I'm happy to try others.

This next part is hidden behind a spoiler because it's not a connector in the 101 manual:
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Ray Wu here, no issues. Always use a multimeter to check wire to pin connections. Like all things mass produced from China, there is bound to be one that will be wrong/bad.

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I use ray wu with no issues. You can buy a converter to go from one to the other also

i13

Dedicated elf
I have the Ray Wu 15mm connectors but I'm yet to find anyone else who uses these. The 13.5mm seems to be more popular than the 15mm. I think the 13.5mm is slightly easier to connect and disconnect. I use the same connectors for 5V and 12V; this allows me to easily reuse my lead-in and data cables between display items as I rearrange the display each year. I hadn't heard of xConnect when I started my display.

ezellner

Full time elf
I use an automotive type connector which are pretty robust for sealing since they are used in engine compartments. Using clone type rather than OEM is very inexpensive and can be found almost anywhere. I initially got mine through AliExpress but have found them on Amazon for quicker delivery. I use the two pin for power and a one pin for data. There are also three pin and higher depending on what you want. I assemble my own and crimp and solder each. Here's a US link to the type of connector I'm talking about and I guess you have something similar in AUS. https://www.amazon.com/MUYI-Waterpr...dp/B014IU2EE2/ref=psdc_15729341_t3_B01A6LTK44 These will handle 20-16 AWG sized wire. There also is a larger size for bigger wire. These can also be purchased as assembled with pigtails at a higher cost. Just another alternative.

tooms

12v4life
I’m thinking of doing a mix between ray and xconnect to segregate my 5v stuff from my 12v stuff

I've done something similar, all my Ray connectors are wired one way, and the other connectors I'm using now are setup for a different pin-out.

I will honestly say though I think Ray's connectors are the most common I've seen. I'm fairly certain xconnect is the HolidayCoro online store standard.

I think the 13.5mm is slightly easier to connect and disconnect.

I've found Paul Zhang's 18.5mm connectors to be a lot easier to connect and disconnect, the ray 13.5mm connectors I have take a bit of force sometimes, possibly due where I live and summer pretty much being 40+ degree's everyday and most of my cabling being completely out in the weather and exposed.

Using clone type rather than OEM is very inexpensive and can be found almost anywhere.

Last year was my first year buying and using pixels with connectors already connected, I wont be going back .. I've previously for the last 4-5 years soldered all my own pigtails on to every strand and strip of pixel I own, but now I've ordered some high density props from GE and they're around 800 pixels each, the last thing I want to be doing is soldering on pig tails!