PIXAD8 and WS2811 - ANYONE RUN THESE???

talk2coxie

Full time elf
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has a PIXAD8 and has upgraded the firmware to run 2811 pixels with success?

I'm not having much luck with this and am hoping I can bounce some questions at someone who has actually tried this or had any success with it.

Cheers, Coxie

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I used WS2811 pixel strip on both of my ECG-PIXAD8 last year. I did have to update the 2 output driver chips in them though. I ran my strips at a speed setting of 3250 from memory.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
Thanks David,

I posted the same question on the J1SYS forum and Ed's response is below.

i'm not sure the current code will support it. I will check and get back to you. I need to clean up ALL the code on ALL of the products to get them all to the same level (where possible).

the pixad8 didn't originally come with the UBL and uses the older TFTP update method.

-Ed

I don't really know what that means for my current controllers and I sure hope I haven't done anything that can't be fixed.

Is the chip update the same buffer chips Kane mentions in this thread?

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,4423.msg38748.html#msg38748

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yes, those are the chips. There were 74LS541 in the original boards and they will not work with the 2811 pixels.

Not sure why Ed says it may not work. Once I changed the chip it worked fine for me. Maybe he changed the code again after mine and broke 2811 support?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
talk2coxie said:
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has a PIXAD8 and has upgraded the firmware to run 2811 pixels with success?

I'm not having much luck with this and am hoping I can bounce some questions at someone who has actually tried this or had any success with it.

Cheers, Coxie

Didnt the upgraded firmware help that I loaded for you

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
talk2coxie said:
Hi Guys,

Cheers, Coxie

I can answer that one.
I have Marks boards here and as David as said it may need different chips to work properly.

talk2coxie

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:

Hi Eddy,
Nah the upgrade didn't seem to help. One of the boards may be totally stuffed as the main chip get really hot for some reason and the 2nd board just wouldn't work.
Had me tearing my hair out and may now need to replace both controllers.
DA is gunna have a look for me and see if anything is worth salvaging.