Pixel Covers for 3D Printer

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Inspired by Phil's excellent Pixel covers, I designed a slightly different shaped cover that is more suited to what I wanted to achieve. I am not going to sell these, but for those of you who have a printer, you can grab the design over at Thingiverse http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:892479 and print your own. If you want copies of covers, I'd suggest seeing Phil for his design, as I have no plans on printing these for other people - I have more than enough to print for myself, and then I have to start on the Pixel 3D stars

The pic below compares a bare LED to one with my cover, and I am very happy with the results. Now to go and print a couple of thousand....

Attachments

• IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    599.3 KB · Views: 81

DrNeutron

Just starting in this crazy hobby
Nice job, looks like it fits like a glove.
I am definitely going to ask Santa for a 3D printer this year, I can't believe how much they have come down in price.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
The thing I love about these posts on the uses of 3d printers is that it increasingly justifies my need for purchasing a new toy.... um... I mean printer of the 3d kind :D
The cover looks great.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
logandc99 said:
The thing I love about these posts on the uses of 3d printers is that it increasingly justifies my need for purchasing a new toy.... um... I mean printer of the 3d kind :D
The cover looks great.

Give the wife a business case and tell her it will save money in the long run to be able to make your own Im not sure if there is much truth to this but she wont know

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Yes somehow I must make it sound like women's logic when it comes to shopping - "I saved $150 on this pair of shoes".
Saved??

JPB

Full time elf
Nice work Lithgow.
Now the serious questions, what does each one cost and how long does it take to print one?

I am in the same boat as Logan, would love a 3D printer, need to do a cost benefit analysis for the financial controller. And I get the saved money by buying something line used on me as well. Funny thing it never works when it try.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
What brand/type of 3D printers are people using and recommend for the home user

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
logandc99 said:
What brand/type of 3D printers are people using and recommend for the home user

for price and features you will find it hard to go past the flashforge brand

I use the flashforge Dreamer where phil and some others use the flashforge Creator pro, both have similar specs and work great for the money