Pixel tree distance from viewers

Valentinorx

Apprentice elf
So I'm planning my pixel tree for 2014 and I originally was doing a 12 strip tree and I had a thought. My tree will be about 20-30 feet from the spectators. If I do a strip tree with strips like CCRs will it lose its effect? Would using a strip or string with 50 individual pixels be better?? I'm looking for advice please and thank you.

Charl Marais

For my twins was the excuse I started with.
I used a strip tree with 12 CCRs in 2012 and a pixel tree in 2013 and apart from the fact that each have a slightly different field of application, there was no real difference in the opinions of the crowds. Both were well liked and both displayed what I asked without any problem. Small effects look better on the pixel tree and text was easier on the strip tree but both displayed flowing colour with no issues.

randallr

New elf
My Pixel Tree, Horizontal grid, and columns use ribbons facing the street. They are right up close to my house, which is about 40' from the street. They can still blow viewers away on the street. I built 3 small 12' trees this year. 2 with 24x50 RGB's, and the third with similar 24x50 ws2811 pixels.

The biggest difference, IMO, is that the ribbons, with three 5050 LED's per chip, are WAY brighter and the near solid line is perfect for animations and graphics. You just don't have the resolution with a single LED per pixel. (Unless you get closely spaced pixels, and many more per foot.

Having a tree that can not only do rotation effects, but also up/down effects is cool, and would be best with single pixel nodes.

After 2 years with CCR Tree... It's the best thing I ever did. It changed my life!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My opinion is that using individual pixels from that distance will not gain much more. The other thing to consider is the resolutions. the tree will be always 12 strip wide, but with 3 LEDs per pixel it will be 50 pixels high instead of 150 pixels high. So by going to individual pixels I don't think you gain much, especially from that distance because you will always have the resolution of 12 wide

When you consider 5vdc voltage drop, higher current, higher channel counts and higher cost compared to using 12vdc strip with 3 LEDs per pixels, then I wonder if its actually worth it compared to using the extra money saved for more lights

I also find that's its much easier to create your own animations because you don't have as many pixels to work with.

anyway just my thoughts

Here is a video of my 2012 show with a 12 x 50 tree as you can see its still very effective, in fact all the strip I used in my show was 12vdc 3 LED per section strip

RGB Lightshow using Minleon LightShow Pro V2.5