Pixels wrong colour

GCAllan

New elf
Hi All

I apologise for the long winded post but this one has absolutely done my head in and after a week trying to work it out I thought I would ask you good people for some advice.

I am using a Pixlite 16 with both ws2811 nodes and strip connected. The strip is behaving very badly. When I use the test button on the pixlite the nodes do w-r-g-b the strips do w-g-b-r yet I have correctly set the rgb order on the pixlite to b-r-g (have attached). Strips are on pixlite outputs 4, 6, 12 and 14. Pixlite has latest firmware.

Pixlite output channel configuration attached. For troubleshooting purposes the information below is aimed at output 4, universe 13 channel 421 onwards where I have the carport front lined with strip

To prove to myself i'm not crazy I fired red then green then blue from da_e131 specifically at universe 13 channels 421 to 510 hey presto its right each time. I then fire w-r-g-b from Vixen directly at the carport lining strips, it works.

What happens next is where I really want to cry or smash something is if I use da_e131 to fire from uni 10 to uni 17, nodes are correct, strips wrong. Same if I fire vixen at the house or everything level.

Has anyone got a suggestion on what could be going wrong.

Al

Attachments

• pixrgborder.png
    pixrgborder.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 24
  • pixconf.png
    pixconf.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 25
  • uni13.JPG
    uni13.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 23
  • uniall.JPG
    uniall.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 20
  • vix1.png
    vix1.png
    20 KB · Views: 20

scamper

Dedicated elf
it can be frustrating at times, but try changing the channel count to 512 instead of 510.
Someone that has used your setup may be able to offer a different answer, but it is worth a go.

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Hi Allan,

Something about that doesn't quite make sense but I can't put my finger on what exactly. Sounds frustrating!

My first guess is the colour order on the strips is not actually BRG. If test mode doesn't show all your pixels changing to the same colour, then there is a problem with the colour order settings. The best thing to do is get test mode working in sync before you start controlling it with live data.

I would reset your colour orders all to the standard RGB first, then turn test mode on RED. See which colour the pixels turn, and do the same for GREEN and BLUE tests. Double check what you think the colour order in the strips is and then change outputs 4, 6, 12 and 14 to use that colour order. Now when you activate test mode, all strips and nodes should change in sync.

If you can't get this far with test mode, then we need to look more into that part before looking at controlling them with other software.

ltay13

Full time elf
By the way, 510 channels per universe is correct for PixLite controllers (510 / 3 = 170 full pixels). We don't split a pixel across universes.

scamper

Dedicated elf
L_Tay said:
By the way, 510 channels per universe is correct for PixLite controllers (510 / 3 = 170 full pixels). We don't split a pixel across universes.

I understand and am aware of that, I just had a problem recently and cannot remember where the issue was.
I think that you can set the outputs in vixen to a 510 count, you can also set them in the falcon f16 board in each output. I know I had to set the dmx outputs to 512 and the pixel outputs to 510.

It was only a suggestion to try and eliminate another possible scenario. ???

ltay13

Full time elf
Yes the channel count per universe thing can be confusing. E.G RGBW pixels use 512 channels not 510 channels per universe. Plus as you mentioned, some controllers don't follow that rule of enforcing a pixel to have all it's data come in a single packet, so it's different for various scenarios.

GCAllan

New elf
Hi Luke and Scamper

Thanks very much for your posts, did as suggested, set all outputs to order RGB, restarted the pixlite, then set 4, 6, 12 and 14 back to BGR and then 3 strips came back good. Found out on further investigation the 4th strip had a dodgy ground as it was doing flickering weird stuff, fixed that.

I am now are happy camper in charge of some nice looking blinkys.

Thanks for your help.

Al

scamper

Dedicated elf
GCAllan said:
Hi Luke and Scamper

Thanks very much for your posts, did as suggested, set all outputs to order RGB, restarted the pixlite, then set 4, 6, 12 and 14 back to BGR and then 3 strips came back good. Found out on further investigation the 4th strip had a dodgy ground as it was doing flickering weird stuff, fixed that.

I am now are happy camper in charge of some nice looking blinkys.

Thanks for your help.

Al

You are welcome, that is what this site is all about, helping each other.
Now that you mention it, i had a problem a couple of years back where 2 of my dumb strips on the star on top of my mega tree would show up the wrong colour, turned out that the back of the strip was shorting out on the metal frame of the star and lighting up the wrong colours.
anyway, good to hear you sorted it out.