Pixlite 4 channel setup

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I have two things I am trying to work out with my Pixlite4.1) I cannot seem to update the firmware. I'm using a Mac. I downloaded the latest hex file (1.4.7) and using the advatek assistant in the misc tab, clicked to update and browsed to where the new hex file is. But every time I click update, the program pauses and then eventually comes up with a time out error. The lights on the Pixlite flash between red and green when i hit update but it never seems to actually complete the update.2) Second problem is getting my channels right for my arches in the PixLite 4. Now I might be expecting to do something unreasonable. I know the pixlite 4 can do up to 4 universes per output. I want to do 2 universes per output at this stage.I have four sets of arches (3 arches per set) and each set takes up 435 channels. So I want to use only two of the outputs of the Pixlite4 for these. So each of the two outputs will run two sets of arches (total 870 pixels per output) and therefore use most of two universes per output.In Xlights I have each set of arches using one universe each (Universes 33,34,35 and 36)[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]So , for example, I'm not sure how to setup output 1 so that it will work across the first two sets of arches (universes 33 and 34). I know that the first arch set will use 435 channels of the 510 available for universe 33 but there will be 75 channels left over unused before the next set of three arches (using universe 34) starts. How to I tell the Pixlite4 to ignore the last 75 channels of universe 33 and then go straight to universe 34 to light up the next set of arches. I have tried setting this up but keep getting the first 25 pixels (75 channels) of the second set of arches not lit up and I'm assuming that is due to the unused 75 channels (25 pixels) left over from universe 33.I realise I can get all four sets working if I use all four of the Pixlite 4 's outputs (one set of arches per output) but was hoping to take advantage of the fact that the pixlite4 can give multiple universes per output.
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I guess I'm used to the P2 where each of the two outputs has 4 slots available for inputting the individual universe data whereas the Pixlite4 has only one slot per output and I don't know how to tell it how to use only 435 channels of each universe of the two universes for that output.[/font]Hope I have explained it ok, sorry if I haven't :eek: [/font]

Andy2000

Apprentice elf
The firmware update might have something to do with Norton or a firewall. I had the same problem with my Pixlite 16. I just disabled Norton and worked first go

nmiller0113

New elf
You can't tell the Pixlite to ignore the last channels, they need to be contiguous. Your channels for each arch should be back to back and it's fine if you finish channel 510 on one universe and start on another mid arch...that's how it should be. You can't really program gaps in the middle, and I don't know why you ever would. How the addressing works on the pixels is the first IC takes it's data, strips off what it needs and retransmits to the next IC. Unless you put in a but of null pixels in the middle that would be the only way you could create a gap between universes and, if I'm understanding your explanation correctly, you can't do that.

nmiller0113

New elf
Oh, and to add to that. You can most definitely do what you're wanting. You just need to adjust your xLights configuration accordingly. You can't put in gaps.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Andy2000 said:
The firmware update might have something to do with Norton or a firewall. I had the same problem with my Pixlite 16. I just disabled Norton and worked first go

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using a mac without firewall and no antivirus so it must be something else. I'll keep investigating.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
nmiller0113 said:
Oh, and to add to that. You can most definitely do what you're wanting. You just need to adjust your xLights configuration accordingly. You can't put in gaps.

Thought that might be the case. I'll go and adjust things in Xlights.
I was hoping I could do what I've done with the P2 where you could define each of the four universes per output but I see the Pixlite doesn't do that.
Thanks for the reply.

nmiller0113

New elf
Yeah, there is really no reason to do it regardless and I don't see any reason it would be added as a feature to the Pixlite product. It really gains you nothing other than a better way to organize things, which I'm guessing is the reason you are doing it.

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
logandc99 said:
Andy2000 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using a mac without firewall and no antivirus so it must be something else. I'll keep investigating.

I just updated my firmware on a Mac and a pixlite 4… are you using the latest Assistant? V2.3.1 ?

Cheers
Fing

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Fing said:
logandc99 said:
Andy2000 said:

I just updated my firmware on a Mac and a pixlite 4… are you using the latest Assistant? V2.3.1 ?

Cheers
Fing

Yes I am using V2.3.1
Just not sure what it won't update. Will try again tonight and look further into my settings.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Ok, so I think i've been thinking about this wrong.
In Xlights I have my arches all setup with the channel numbers running sequentially already so in theory they should actually light up anyway.
I have the settings in the pixlit4 setup as per below. So what am I doing wrong here?
A set of arches is made up of a big, medium and small. The big arch has 60pixels, the medium 50 and the small 35 to give a total of 145 pixels or 435 channels per arch set (the big, medium and small all connected together). The signal then leaves and goes onto the next arch set made up the same way. So, I have a total of 290 pixels (870 channels) being fed by the first output from the pixlit4 and 290 pixels (870 channels) fed by output two on the pixlit4.

So what dumb thing am I doing wrong in the settings below. Why does the first set of three arches fully light up but on the second set, the first 24 pixels of the big arch are off but the rest of the big arch, the whole medium and whole small arch are lit. Same happens with sets 3 and 4.

Attachments

• IMG_2179.JPG
    IMG_2179.JPG
    611.2 KB · Views: 26

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
from my limited knowledge ( disclaimer first)
the second o/p doesn't look right should it be universe 34 ch 361 or universe 35 ch 1?

that should read very limited knowledge…… :-[

have you got da_e131 ? fire it up and check where your problem is..

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Just sorted it out. Forgot that I also needed to change the universe info in the setup tab of Xlights.
So, yes I was doing something dumb but yay I managed to get there in the end.
Thanks for the replies :D

PS still can't update the firmware but 1 out 2 sorted aint bad.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Ok, Brain fart over :eek: - re my Pixlite4 setup. :D :D

https://youtu.be/pN3YmOPRYlQ