Pixlite 4 setup

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi, am trying to setup pix4 and can't seem to access either by direct from computer or through utility, computer is setup in 192.168.0.1 but can't connect. Any ideas please, first time using pixlite ( yes power is on, green light on-steady, red light-pulsing).
Type in ip 192.168.0.50 but no connection...?????

Boof63

Senior elf
Have logged in ok but now trying to do advance string configuration, matrix is 1500 pix , string config won't let me add 680 pix to each output , channel count only goes as high as 508???? What gives.. I should be able to setup for 4x 680'pixels according to pixlite 4 blurb or have I got this wrong? Cheers boof63

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
You need to put 680 under "Num Pixels". Start channel is referring to the channel within the sACN universe you want to start the pixel string at. E.g. Start addressing for that output at universe 1 channel 1.

Boof63

Senior elf
Thanks for your prompt replies, will have a play tonight when I get the chance,
cheers Boof63

Boof63

Senior elf
Ok have setup Pixlite , connected power then lights 1st output only connected to matrix (all 1425 pixel) with no power, first 3 - 4 strings came on showing all white and then red on others further down matrix. Assumed running out of power obviously. Before I could connect pwr injection lights cut out.
Checked 1st input and no pwr. Took out fuse and had blown it.
Do I need to limit how many lights draw off of 1st input ie 680 pixels long??
Matrix is 20 strings x 75 pixels, if I run 680 pixels / 150 = 4.53 strings long.
How do I tell pixlite4 to start 2nd output at pixel number 681 half way along the string??
Was planning 1st output = 680 pixels, 2nd output= 680 pixels, 3rd output = 140 pixels
Any help greatly appreciated.
Do I need to put in 7amp fuse??
Cheers Boof63
PS does it have to run thru router or will crossover cable it to run direct from PC, if so is their a specific crossover cable format that works ie 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX crossover or other format??

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Two I can answer.
  1. No cross-over cable required. Just connect direct to PC or switch.
  2. NEVER CONNECT PIXELS TO THE BOARD WITH POWER ON. you play Russian Roulette with popping the first Pixel. Always power down. I learnt that lesson the hard way like many others.

Boof63

Senior elf
Yep tried on main computer without router and that picked it up ok, took out to shed computer an no luck. (shed box picks up ecg-P2 tho ,so not sure what's going on. (all ip address's are in the same family 10.10.10.10: pixlite 4 is now 10.10.10.50.)
Lights weren't hot swapped, plugged in then pix4 turned on ?? then 5 amp fuse blew?
cheers Boof63

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Boof63 said:
Yep tried on main computer without router and that picked it up ok, took out to shed computer an no luck. (shed box picks up ecg-P2 tho ,so not sure what's going on. (all ip address's are in the same family 10.10.10.10: pixlite 4 is now 10.10.10.50.)
Lights weren't hot swapped, plugged in then pix4 turned on ?? then 5 amp fuse blew?
cheers Boof63
Has Shed PC got the latest version of the Pixlite software? This tripped me up to start with.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Boof63 said:
cheers Boof63

I am happy to stand corrected on these facts but this is my understanding.
Firstly were the lights being told to operate when you applied power to the Pixlite4 when the fuse blew? I would say unlikely as the controller has to power-up before it can control the lights SO it is highly likely you have a direct short somewhere.
Secondly operating at 12V a 5m strip of 30 pixels per metre (150 pixels) will draw around 3.2A on full white. You have 680 pixels so you are likely to draw 14.5A. so no I do not think a 7A fuse is the answer. You need to consider power injection.

Boof63

Senior elf
Pwr injection is organised. Thought I plug in to see if talking to lights and that they would only run what they could before pwr ran out and lights turned pale red.
How do I tell pix 4 that at string 5 half way along the output one runs out and output 2 needs to take over, or can I only connect whole strings ie 4x150 pix = 600 pix.then feed output2 into string 5 etc an then output 3 into string 9 .
If so then I don't have enough outputs for the matrix! Oops
Cheers Boof63

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Boof63 said:
Pwr injection is organised. Thought I plug in to see if talking to lights and that they would only run what they could before pwr ran out and lights turned pale red.
How do I tell pix 4 that at string 5 half way along the output one runs out and output 2 needs to take over, or can I only connect whole strings ie 4x150 pix = 600 pix.then feed output2 into string 5 etc an then output 3 into string 9 .
If so then I don't have enough outputs for the matrix! Oops
Cheers Boof63

You cannot tell it to use the second half. Those pixels need to be connected to that output. You need to cut at 680 and connect the next 680 to output 2 etc. Sorry. Just run the data and -ve to the cut and start the output halfway along and inject the +ve at that point. You still have enough outputs and not much more work, only a bit of extra wiring. :D

Boof63

Senior elf
Damn, but ok thanks for the advice, sort of afraid that might be the case, cheers Boof63

Habbosrus

Back again
Hey Boof. I may be missing something here, but you have a pixlite4 which has 4 outputs, correct? You have a matrix that has 1500 pixels, correct? You only need to assign 375 "pixels" to each output. I'm not sure where 680 is coming from. Mine is setup that way on my E6804. I run 4 outputs with 375 pixels, zig-zagged at 75 pixels. That way I have 5 strips of 75 pixels (2.5 metres) out of each port. I inject power between 2/3 & 4/5. In testing everything is working well.
If I've misunderstood, please ignore me. I'm used to it. I'm married and have 2 teenagers at home.