Pixlite16 LR

Discussion in 'Advatek Lights' started by Goliath, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Goliath

Goliath New Elf

Just want to say what a bloody brilliant piece of hardware this is!

This is my first year with pixels, and I was fearful about buying multiple controller boards to distribute over various parts of the yard and roof. One Pixlite16 LR, and 8 remote boards ( I'll probably wind up only using 5, and none of those are maxed out) and the neighbours are reaching for their sunglasses :)

2. AndiK

AndiK New Elf

Nice... I'm looking for controllers so good messages are great to read... Thank you.

3. plasmadrive

plasmadrive Full Time Elf

I bought one.. tried it.. loved it.. bought 2 more. I have been using pixel extenders.. so this solves two issues at one time. Service from Luke is very good!

There are only two things I wish would change.. One is a software change to allow for the "test" mode to happen from the computer. I mount mine under the 2nd story eves so it is unusable for me.

The other is a cable limitation. If you use it in a condensed mode you need to supply a common V- connection between power supplies, if you use separate supplies for the main board and the lights. Not really sure what to do about it other than use shielded Cat 5 cable and connect the shield as V-. Other than that you can use a separate wire to connect them.. You don't always have to connect the V- from each supply together.. but you need to pay attention to RS485 wiring structure so you don't exceed the differential voltage from V- between supplies.

4. darylc

darylc Full Time Elf Global Moderator

My understanding is that you can get around this by using the isolated receivers.
    https://www.advateklights.com/shop/mantis-pixel-mapping/45-pixlite-long-range-isolated-receiver.html

Daryl

5. plasmadrive

plasmadrive Full Time Elf

OK.. those are new! That's great! Wish they had those when I bought mine.. but tech marches on as needed..

6. BundyRoy

BundyRoy Senior Elf

I see the controller can handle 340 pixels/output. So does the one receiver handle 340 pixels as well or do you need multiple receivers per output. The other thing that was a little confusing on the website was can this controller handle multiple pixel types together. (eg ws2811 on one output and another type on the next output).

7. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    The receiver has no "smarts" in it and it will receive however many channels are pumped at it.
    Unless there's been a change very recently all pixlites have the same pixel type on all outputs.

8. darylc

darylc Full Time Elf Global Moderator

One receiver can do 2 outputs of 4 wire pixels, or 4 outputs of 3 wire pixels, So either 2x340 or 4 x 340 pixels per receiver.

If you do 4 outputs then you can only use 4 receivers, not 8.