Planning for next years Mega Tree

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Has anyone used Aluminium tube for their Megatree? I am thinking of around 40mm diameter by 3mm thick wall by 6m high. It will slot into a aluminum tube slightly bigger in diameter that has been concreted into the ground.

My questions are:
- what specifications is your Aluminium tube?
- is what I'm thinking an over kill or is it not big enough (diameter and wall thickness) or should I just go for the 50mm x 5 or 6mm wall thickness. I was also trying to keep it light weight.
- we do get high winds in the area.
- I will use guide wire.

I can get the aluminum tube in many different sizes so just trying to pick the best size to use and I was surprised at how cheap it is.

Cheers

RAMJET

so much to do so little time
Generous elf
gnarmstr,
[/size]
[/size]I made an aluminium tree last year that I pull apart and store over winter. Happy to share my experience. It is for 12 x 5 metre 10mm strip lights.

Lenny

New elf
After my misshap a few weeks ago I would suggest that over kill is better. Read my post "well it's up". Factor in the weight on top but also think about the prolonged effect this may have plus the wind aswell as heat. It may not bend straight away but it may after a few weeks

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Hey mate yes I agree with lenny sometimes a little overkill doesnt hurt . My fear with aluminium although light weight is probable to crack and break under extreme conditions not so flexible .and also expensive . I have used steel for my tree is 6.5 m high have used galvanized pipe 5mm thick by I think is 50 mm wide maybe 40 and have the next size pipe cemented into ground approx 1200mm deep as total length of the tree pole is 7.5 m . Has withstood all types of weather over the last ten years wont rust or oxidise and easier to weld but downside is heavier . Thats just my opinion anyway .