Please Check How I deal with Power

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Hi guys,

Just thought I would get some other opinions on how you guys do things before I get too carried away.

In my main controller box, my power supplies are computer power supplies I got for free and they are only rated to 18 Amps. When I am connecting up my star of 139 pixels, for example, I will let that power supply run 40 pixels, and then I am using another power supply (from another location) to power the remaining 99 pixels. I do this by cutting the V+ line after the 40th pixel.

Is this an acceptable practice? Keep in mind this main power supply would power other items as well. I am up to a total of 14 amps across the other props which are about 80% of its max load.

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
80% load when run the strip/pixels at 100% white?
Tip
If you lower the brightness you will get better colours and less amps
Just to throw more into the basket.
Sorry about that but all my calcs are at show% x full white amps.

Last edited:

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
Yes I’m working on 80% load at 100% brightness. Will start my brightness off at 50% and see how it goes.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
i do not recommend computer psu for this hobby as you state they do not have enough power really for this hobby. Server power supplies is a different story.

for safety reasons also i would just buy a fixed 5v power supply ( would not waste my time with a 12v one :) )