PoE - ECG-D2

josh d

New elf
Im trying to set up my D2 with PoE.

I've set up the jumpers on the bord for "7V-40V supply over P-POE"

then i plugged it into the switch which is a tp-link tl-sf1008p but nothing happens and none of the lights on the switch are coming up to say that it is connected.

Any ideas?
Thanks, Josh

harrisonk

Dedicated elf
The POE that the J1Sys boards use is Passive POE. So the stuff that's found in switches won't work. If your lucky you won't have blown up your board. A quick eBay search returns many results for Passive POE kits.

battle79

Full time elf
Passive POE is a older and completely different thing that is easily confused with the newer POE on switches.

I doubt you would have blown anything as the switch only turns on the POE after it receives an acknowledgement from the device that it is POE capable. Think of it as active POE. As the ECG-D2 won't have ever sent the ack, you should have no problem. Also note it runs at 48V.

Passive POE involves adding the power to the unused pairs directly (usually 4&5,7&8, but check D2 input requirements). The power is always present at the far end even before anything is plugged in. It can be whatever voltage you inject into it. Remember voltage drop over long runs if your using 5V.

Hope this helps,
Rowan

dkulp

Full time elf
There are some switches that will work for this. I'm using a ToughSwitch POE:

http://www.amazon.com/TOUGHSwitch-5-Gigabit-POE-Switch/dp/B00COUK39M/ref=sr_1_2

with my D2's and they work perfectly. Since PassivePOE puts the 24v on the wires all the time, it's a "managed" switch where you log in and tell it which ports to turn on the POE support. You do then need to be careful to not plug something into those ports that cannot handle it.

battle79

Full time elf
Wow that's a new item to me.
Seen heaps of the Passive POE bars slip in front of the switch and inject the power but this is one step further. I feel I would only be comfortable using this in an environment where it's locked so only IT can get to it. Far too many companies have people who "try" to do their own patching and create more work in the long run.

Could be useful for us at Christmas though.

Cheers,
Rowan

josh d

New elf
Got it working using my 24v power supply.
Im actually unsure why i didnt try that first.

Anyway thanks for your help.
Josh