Power Distribution Board

Baron

Apprentice elf
Hello. Quick question for you. What is the purpose of a f-8 power distro board from pixel controllers?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
It is a way to insert fuses between the power supply and your pixels, thus adding some electrical protection and preventing damage if there was something like a spike in power. In theory the fuse will blow before your pixels do :)

pixelated

New elf
The purpose of the fuses is to protect from a downstream fault. If there was no fuse and there was a fault, a short to ground for example, somewhere in a pixel string the current is limited to the output of the power supply. This would not only damage the pixels upstream of the fault but could result in a fire. If a spike or surge in the dc system is a concern you would need a dc surge protection device. If you have a poor ac power supply then you could use a surge protector or uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Proper fusing is an important safety requirement.

Christmas30

New elf
I can second that about fusing you should use fusesin every electrical connection providing positive voltage to the pcbs or pixels I'm a qualified siarkt in UK and would not do anything without correct fusing in place