Power injection for Ray Wu 2801 Strips

ezimnow

New elf
Need some ideas please. I am building a 12 Strip tree with Ray Wu's 2801 strips. I am using Ray Wu's 350W dual output 5V/350W Power supply. I have used 2 banks of the Power supply which are both connected to my J12 controller, 1 bank for each side of the controller. I am using Ray Wu's 4 pin connectors and will Run Power and Ground with 16ga spt cable and I have cat 5 for my Data and clock along the base (bottom) of the tree.

Power injection Question: I want to run PI to each of the 12 Strips on top. I have 1 bank left on my Power supply and will run 16ga cable Pwr/Grnd to the top of the tree. I want to use the Pwr and Ground from each strip and connect that to the 16 ga cable . How do I get power to all 12? I just can't picture how I can run that power to all 12. Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you

jediknight2

Full time elf
First...a link to your strips might help because it matters which ones they are. Second, where will the PS be? Under the tree or away from the tree? That also matters. As far as the banks...you can connect 12 wires up to the last bank...the rail is shared....however, I would split the 12 along the 3 terminals.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I built my 12 strip tree with all power being fed from the bottom. I used 2 strips per output of the j1sys controller and connected the strips together at the top so that the second tree strip arrows were pointing down. I then injected power at the bottom (end) of the second strip and supplied data and power to the first strip at the bottom (beginning). So I had 6 pairs to make up my 12 strip tree.

Now you wont have enough power to run 12 strips on a 5v 350 watt power supply and you wont have enough power to supply both banks with a 350 watt power supply to run 12 strips.

So if you are using 12 strips of the 30 LED/M 5volt individual controlled strip then you will require approx 14.4 watts per metre
12 strips x 5 metres = 60 metres
60 metres x 14.4 watts
total watts of tree = 864 watts

So as you can see even 2 x 350 watt power supplies does not provide enough power to run your tree.

Edit:
The link you provided shows 10 watts per metre so thats a total of 600 watts for your tree, so 2 x 350 watt PSU