Power Injection

dannyp

Full time elf
I am a bit confused about how to do power injection. I have the 4 core waterproof plugs from Ray Wu which I intend to run from the ECG12PR to some pixels. I am ok with that. However am I able to use the same plugs just to run power from the Power Supply in between the pixel strings? if so how do I work out which cores are connected to the + and N terminals from the supply? Or should I be using 2 core plugs?

I am worried that I will connect them around the wrong way and blow something up.

Thanks

Boof63

Senior elf
Hi, I used 6 core last year as the price wasn't much dearer than the 4 core (just doubled upo power and earths).
All i did was make sure i used the same colour cable from the power supply side waterproof plug ie red/brown- positive/live and green/yellow- earth at both ends of the power plugs and solder onto the correct spot on the same connecting plugs used to connect strip to strip, power to power and earth to earth, doubled up at those poinst that needed it. Didn't blow anything up!
Hope this =helps
cheers Boof63

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I use 2 core plugs for my power injection but if you only have 4 core cables then use those, just use the same 2 cores you are using for supplying power to the pixels, that way if you mix them they will always be the correct pins for power as they follow the same pins you are using for connecting your pixels. You just wont be using the other 2 cores as there is no data or clock for injection

neilric99

Full time elf
what would be really useful is if Ray could come up with a T adapter for the various waterproof cables that he sells which are either 3 or 4 pin straight thru with a 2 pin input on the power lines.

kane

Dedicated elf
neil said:
what would be really useful is if Ray could come up with a T adapter for the various waterproof cables that he sells which are either 3 or 4 pin straight thru with a 2 pin input on the power lines.
That would actually be good - I make up my own that are exactly that.. Basically a 4 core female, a 4 core male, and a 2-core male. I then use a standard 2-core cable from the power supply and plug it into the "T"

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
All ive ever done is just solder a 3 core and a 2 core plug (for 2811) to the beginning of a strip that is going to be connected to another strip, If you are already going to solder on plugs then this is an easy method just to add the 2 core plug for injection

Something like this

[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• power injection.JPG
    power injection.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 248

kane

Dedicated elf
neil said:
Kane, you you have a picture of their construction that you can share?
Well, they're not exactly works of art, but they work - here's a couple photos of the finished product.. In this case, they are for 2801 strips, so have 4 cores.. On the 4-core connectors, Data and Clock are wired straight through, +ve and -ve are wired through, but with the +ve and -ve from the 2-core spliced on..

They'd obviously look better if done as a "T", but in my situation this works fine.

I solder the appropriate wires together and individually heatshrink each group. The blue heatshrink is just over the whole lot to keep it all together

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 48

kane

Dedicated elf
magii said:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4core-T-type-waterproof-splitter-white-color-the-male-connect-s-diameter-13-5mm/701799_601828101.html

Ray does have Ts, I had them custom made about 8 months ago. I know they have two core and 4 core. These are what I use for injection, too labor intensive to solder all those 3 ways. Cost is pretty reasonable too.
Yeah, I got him to make some for me too, but they ended up with the wrong connectors on them. Given Ray deals with different factories, they regularly have different connectors - some have that notch out of them, some are slightly smaller with a different setup (like the one on the far right in my photo above).

If you have a "T" as per your link above, you could then make a custom power cable that had a four-core connector on the end, but only wired to two of the cores, so certainly an option for power injection.. But myself, I have a heap of 2-core cables (custom from Ray) that I use for running power around everywhere. So if I used one of those T's, I'd still have to make a cable to convert from the 2-core to the 4-core...

Fun stuff!