Power issues

msherratt

New elf
Hi. I am wondering if anyone can help me.

I have my whole display working except for a few stubborn elements. I have two windows both the same size both wired the same with data, +Ve and -ve wired into the start of 30/10 strip and +Ve and -Ve at the end of the strip to a fuse hub and ground block for power infusion.

When I run a test of any colour one window does as it should but the other flashes white for a split second and then doesn't light. The fuse is intact. If I just run the back end power injection and disconnect the cable to the controller it works with full white so I don't think I have a bad circuit.

Is there something I should be checking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitman

Full time elf
So if you just run the voltage to the output end without any data on the input the lights come up full white??
If that's the case this shouldn't happen, the lights shouldn't light up at all without any data being sent to them. If they are coming up full white when powering from the output and no test sequence then one of the power injection wires is on the wrong pin either ground or positive.

Double check that you have connected them correctly to the correct pins.

msherratt

New elf
Kitman said:
So if you just run the voltage to the output end without any data on the input the lights come up full white??
If that's the case this shouldn't happen, the lights shouldn't light up at all without any data being sent to them. If they are coming up full white when powering from the output and no test sequence then one of the power injection wires is on the wrong pin either ground or positive.

Double check that you have connected them correctly to the correct pins.

Hmmm I have checked everything and it all seems legitimate. And I have checked the window that was working as reference and it's wired the same.

Kitman

Full time elf
do you have a spare strip to swap out the not working one with? If it's all wired the same 100% then they should both be working the same way.

What happens when you do the same with the working window? disconnect the input from the controller and only run power to the output? same behavior or no lights come on?

If the other window that is working doesn't do the same as the one that's not working then you know something else is going on, perhaps some faulty pixels which can do weird things.

msherratt

New elf
Yeah if I remove the input and only plug in the power in on the output I get half of the working wire on full white

msherratt

New elf
Interesting enough. I plugged in a test single controller into the input end. The strip on the window works perfectly. So I know the strip is working.

scamper

Dedicated elf
The flash of full white seems to be as it powers up you get a flash until it detects a data signal. The fact nothing works after that would indicate to me a patching problem.
Swap the 2 windows around to confirm, Otherwise I would be looking at your patching.

I believe there is data going to the strip, but not the data it wants

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Confirm that the lights are good first by connecting them to a known good working output from the controller, this way you will be able to know if its a hardware issue or if its a mapping issue.