Power requirements for F13v3 and Pii

ryanatunlock

New elf
I currently have a 12v Meanwell power supply that powers my F16v3 from v1 and v2. I also have a 12v to 5v converter off the Meanwell to power my Pii.

In certain sequences (I think when there is a lot of white lights) my F16v3 and/or Pii reboot or lose power, my show goes down for 30 sec then comes alive again.

I never notice dim lights or anything like that and I'm pretty sure I have a big enough PSU to run my lights at 30%.

I want to swap to external power for my F16V3 - using a wall transformer to ensure it has stable power - I also need to think about the Pii and I'd rather not have two transformers.

I can either use my 12v wall transformer for the F16v3 with the 12v to 5v converter for the Pii, or I guess I could run both the F16v3 and the Pii off a 5v wall transformer.

I have a few 12v and 5v wall transformers lying around but I can't seem to determine how many amps are required to run the F16v3 and the Pii. Is it different if I use 12v or 5v?

Thanks!

Dreamin

Full time elf
The Pi needs 5.1V 2.5-3Amps
The Falcon F16v3 you can use the external power on the side (just move the switch over) and power it with an independent powersupply. Not sure if there is a specific voltage to be applied there, best you check the manual.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
The manual does say that if you have a lot of pixels connected on the v2 bank and that is also powering the main board that if you go to full white the voltage drop may go below the main boards minimum voltage threshold.

Katekate

Senior elf
you can run either 12 or 5v on the ext power connection, see the manual on how to set your jumpers/switches appropriately.

running 5v would be the simplest option, as you can use one supply for both the pi and the falcon.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Check the Meanwell's overload handling. Some Meanwell's operate with a 'Hiccup' overload mode where they shutdown, pause, and attempt a restart. A sudden amperage draw can trigger the shutdown whether from a sudden many lights on and/or very high drive levels. If you off-load the Falcon and RPi to a Wall Wart, note that some are notorious for poor regulation and noise; search out one of good quality.

I would suggest a separate small Meanwell. They have some in their product line in the 50 watt range that should work well.