Power supplies meanwell/ raywu

sweepa

New elf
HI has anyone had experinence with the 5v and 12v power supplies from ray wu I have bought through meanwell in the past but having to build a larger tree it requires something like 6 PSU im just looking at the economics of it.

Thanks

cdjazman

Full time elf
I am running 11 PSU's and all are from Ray and have not had a single issue.

They are all 12v.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
All Ray Wu PSUs here, mix of 5v 12 (and 24v when I had DC stuff a few years back.)
The rule of thumb for these cheaper PSUs is always have a spare per voltage lying around, just in case.
Also, only apply maximum load of around 80%. EG, if it's a 300w PSU, only have around 240w being drawn from it. A way to combat this is to reduce the brightness of your display, either at the controller or via dimming curves in the models in software such as xlights)

kk6ou

New elf
You also might want to look at HP server supplies. There are multiple threads about them. They cost < $20 US (refurb) and can be made to fit in a CG-1500. I put a 750W in a CG-1500 for my megatree. It takes the place of 2 360W supplies at 1/2 the price. I also would think a HP supply would far surpass reliability of a equivalent Meanwell. This is my first season using one. I tested it running 1250 pixels at 50%. I'll update next year on how well it worked.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There is nothing really wrong with the Ray Wu power supplies or any other cheap supply for the purpose of doing DIY as labour is not a cost if a power supply did fail, just make sure you have at least 1 spare just in case, it will still be a lot cheaper than using name brand supplies.