Power supply auto shuts down

Nodent

Apprentice elf
I have a PC power supply 650W powering 200 pixel nodes.

When the sequence reaches a part of flashing white the power supply shuts down.

It is a higher end type power supply, could it have intelligence to shut down during sudden draws of power?

How can I prevent this, capacitors?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You may have hit the limit on whichever rail you are using. I don't know the specs on power supplies these days but with 3.3, 5 and 12V rails the one that you are hooked up may be running out of oomph. There is also the possibility that the current imbalance between the rail that you are using and either the 5V or 3.3V may be causing an issue. Old supplies used to regulate the 5V and the other rails were based on a proportion of that without actually regulating them. Dedicated fixed voltage supplies are always a better option imho.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You need to read the specs on the power supply to see what it is capable of at the voltage you are using. The other issue is that it may not be liking the fluctuating power as primarily the power supply was designed for a computer and not to drive lights.
Using a computer power supply can be hit and miss sometimes as to how they perform and a dedicated power supply designed for the task is a better option.