Power Supply plugs???

Baron

Apprentice elf
If I have my mega tree controller connected to 6 350 watt power supplies (photo attached). Instead of having 6 plugs, can I connect 3 of the power supplies to each other and only have 2 plugs? Or is it best to have 6 plugs?

Attachments

• 982F4EEA-D999-4938-8626-47C785857A9D.jpeg
    982F4EEA-D999-4938-8626-47C785857A9D.jpeg
    835.1 KB · Views: 60

Dr.Venture

New elf
disclaimer: I am not an electrician. But yes you can run the power cord in series to the PSU's. My megatree box has 2 PSUs running off of one plug.

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I have plenty of boxes shipped to me by Ready to Run by the vendor that have 2 or 3 PSUs in parallel on the same plug. I don't see any difference between that and plugging all the cords into the same extension, which is probably what would happen if I had multiple plugs per PSU.

Last edited:

TerryK

Retired Elf
@Baron : If you are asking about the supplies's primary (the 120/240 Volt terminals), depending upon the size and inrush specifications one could run them all from one plug. For the 350 Watt supplies you indicated, 3 supplies on a plug should be all right. As your avatar indicates US, I highly suggest keeping the power terminal wiring no smaller than 14 AWG. If you are by chance asking about the DC terminals, a little more info would help one produce a pertinent answer.

@Dr.Venture : Typically never series. As @merryoncherry indicated, supply primaries are almost always wired in parallel.

Yendor

New elf
Typically you should only connect power supplies together if they're specifically designed to allow that. Most regular meanwell's aren't deisnged to operate that way. (Because even though both supplies will say 12V, one may be 11.9V, and the other 12.1V - and that 0.2V difference will have them fighting each other trying to balance the difference).

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Typically you should only connect power supplies together if they're specifically designed to allow that. Most regular meanwell's aren't deisnged to operate that way. (Because even though both supplies will say 12V, one may be 11.9V, and the other 12.1V - and that 0.2V difference will have them fighting each other trying to balance the difference).
I believe the OP is referring to the input AC power being connected rather the output DC side.