Powering Lights and Equipment

ando1961

New elf
I hope that someone can answer this question. I have a J1SYS P2 device in a box #1 with a 5v power supply. This ps will power the P2. In another box about 15 feet away I will have another box #2 with 5v power supply for a pixel string. Data will be delivered from the P2 but on video I saw from Andy that he took the common and placed this into the common on the 5v power supply. He used this to also power his string using 5v and common. My question is can I place the common from the P2 to the power supply in Box #1? I have tried to draw this in a diagram attached.

Les

Attachments

• Powering Question.jpg
    Powering Question.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 61

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi Les,

i've been struggling with this design issue as well, from what i've read you would need to connect both the +ve and common of the local supply to the P2, and connect the common of the P2 ( local power supply) to the common of the remote Power supply. There is a diagram in the 101 book on page 51.
Another issue I can see is the distance from the P2 to the first light, at 5m this might be too far and you will need to use a null pixel or pixel extenders (see page 63).
Just a warning, i've been wrong ALL DAY ( one of those days..) … so if someone has a better answer i would be interested as well and happily stand corrected

Cheers
Fing

Robert

Apprentice elf
Just a suggestion here. Instead of wasting a whole 5v PS. You would probably be better off powering the P2 with PPOE. That's how I run my P2. You could the utilize the PS in the enclosure with the P2, for your pixels, then use the other for power injection. Just my 2¢.

ando1961

New elf
Thanks for the input. I forgot about 101 manual. Should have looked there. modified the setup to look like below. This should be correct now??

Attachments

• Powering Question v2.jpg
    Powering Question v2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 49

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
By tieing the grounds together you avoid having varying ground reference which can cause ground loops and thus flickering of lights, its the same with power injection. Your diagram should work because the controller and the remote power supply have their grounds tied together and so you will not have a large varying ground reference between the two