1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Problem with DMX

Discussion in 'xLights (Nutcracker)' started by Blue Alloy, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Blue Alloy

Blue Alloy New Elf

I have 3 RGB spot lights, that I was using with Vixen, but I can not get them to work with Xlights. I am using the DMX effect with only 3 channels. If I go into the test lights and turn on the output I get the Rx Dmx light to light on the dongle and they work fine. But they do not come on when I program them to come on in the sequence? I guess, I need to add something or do something. Is there any information on this?

2. keithsw1111

keithsw1111 Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Why are you using the dmx effect. Dmx effect is primarily for moving heads and diggers and the like. A simple on effect or colour wash should be all you need for spots. You should also model them as a line of lights containing just the one (or three of they are a bar of 3 spots)

3. OP
    OP
    Blue Alloy

Blue Alloy New Elf

Thanks for your reply. Yes, to using just a string with one light 1 nodes(RGB) and 3 Lights. I started trying to use 8 DMX channels to control a Singing Christmas tree and I tried that. I have not made the Tree yet, but I have an open DMX dongle plugged in. When I put the ON effect on the node and played the Sequence. The Rx LED did not light. But if I went into the TEST and clicked output to light the Rx LED would blink. But when I ran the Sequence I got no DMX Rx light. But I did not know if was sending any control data. I do not have the hardware for the singing Face, but I did have 3 Spots, so I hooked them up to see if the test was in fact sending the on signal. Yes, I can control the spots in the Test mode. But not by running them sequence? So I changed the spots to the DMX effect but still no luck controlling them in the Sequence, but they still work in the test mode?

I am running windows XP, I was running Xlights 16.48 I just updated to 50. In my setup I have E131 (Falcon) controller. I added a USB openDMX on com9 250000, channels 1-512.

I just deleted all the spots, and started over. I added one string, #string 1, Nodes/String 1, Lights/node 3.

String Properties, RGB Nodes, color Red
    Appearance, Pixel Size 100, Transparency 50
    Saved the Layout
    Sequencer
    I added Spot 1 to the Time line.
    Double clicked on Spot 1, it has, Node 1, Node 2, Node 3.
    I added the ON effect to Node 1, It put the ON effect to all 3 nodes, it should not do that?
    I deleted that, If I put the ON effect to Node 2 It only is on that node.

Clicked on play No Rx LED on the dongle, no Red on the spot?
    I when go into test, I have Spot 1 {1} (1-3)
    Node {1} (1-3}
    Channel {R} (1)
    Channel {G] (2)
    Channel {B} (3)

I can control the 3 Channels

But no luck with controlling them in the sequence? Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

4. Gilrock

Gilrock Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Sounds like you didn't click the Output to Lights button on the toolbar.

5. OP
    OP
    Blue Alloy

Blue Alloy New Elf

Thanks Gil, that was what I was doing wrong. I have never run the sequencer to control the lights before, except in the Test mode, so I did not know about turning on the outputs. So much to learn.