Problem with DMX

Blue Alloy

New elf
I have 3 RGB spot lights, that I was using with Vixen, but I can not get them to work with Xlights. I am using the DMX effect with only 3 channels. If I go into the test lights and turn on the output I get the Rx Dmx light to light on the dongle and they work fine. But they do not come on when I program them to come on in the sequence? I guess, I need to add something or do something. Is there any information on this?

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Why are you using the dmx effect. Dmx effect is primarily for moving heads and diggers and the like. A simple on effect or colour wash should be all you need for spots. You should also model them as a line of lights containing just the one (or three of they are a bar of 3 spots)

Blue Alloy

New elf
Thanks for your reply. Yes, to using just a string with one light 1 nodes(RGB) and 3 Lights. I started trying to use 8 DMX channels to control a Singing Christmas tree and I tried that. I have not made the Tree yet, but I have an open DMX dongle plugged in. When I put the ON effect on the node and played the Sequence. The Rx LED did not light. But if I went into the TEST and clicked output to light the Rx LED would blink. But when I ran the Sequence I got no DMX Rx light. But I did not know if was sending any control data. I do not have the hardware for the singing Face, but I did have 3 Spots, so I hooked them up to see if the test was in fact sending the on signal. Yes, I can control the spots in the Test mode. But not by running them sequence? So I changed the spots to the DMX effect but still no luck controlling them in the Sequence, but they still work in the test mode?

I am running windows XP, I was running Xlights 16.48 I just updated to 50. In my setup I have E131 (Falcon) controller. I added a USB openDMX on com9 250000, channels 1-512.

I just deleted all the spots, and started over. I added one string, #string 1, Nodes/String 1, Lights/node 3.

String Properties, RGB Nodes, color Red
Appearance, Pixel Size 100, Transparency 50
Saved the Layout
Sequencer
I added Spot 1 to the Time line.
Double clicked on Spot 1, it has, Node 1, Node 2, Node 3.
I added the ON effect to Node 1, It put the ON effect to all 3 nodes, it should not do that?
I deleted that, If I put the ON effect to Node 2 It only is on that node.

Clicked on play No Rx LED on the dongle, no Red on the spot?
I when go into test, I have Spot 1 {1} (1-3)
Node {1} (1-3}
Channel {R} (1)
Channel {G] (2)
Channel {B} (3)

I can control the 3 Channels

But no luck with controlling them in the sequence? Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Gilrock

Full time elf
Blue Alloy said:
I have 3 RGB spot lights, that I was using with Vixen, but I can not get them to work with Xlights. I am using the DMX effect with only 3 channels. If I go into the test lights and turn on the output I get the Rx Dmx light to light on the dongle and they work fine. But they do not come on when I program them to come on in the sequence? I guess, I need to add something or do something. Is there any information on this?

Sounds like you didn't click the Output to Lights button on the toolbar.

Blue Alloy

New elf
Thanks Gil, that was what I was doing wrong. I have never run the sequencer to control the lights before, except in the Test mode, so I did not know about turning on the outputs. So much to learn.