Problem with J1sys ECG-P2

David_K

Full time elf
Hi
Does anyone here run the J1sys ECG_P2 with win 8 ? If so has anyone had any problems? I formatted my computer and now all my lights do is flicker with both my ECG_P2 controllers as soon as I plug the ethernet cable in away they go. I have been at this for days with no answer in sight.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
If you unplug the ethernet cables from both do they continue to flicker?
If you plug in 1 controller and not the other do either flicker?
If you log into the P2's with the web interface are they showing that packets are being received?

The 1st things I would be looking at are an IP setting conflict but it's hard to know what is going on without more info.

David_K

Full time elf
Hi AAH
Thank you for your reply, If you disconnect the ethernet cable they stop blinking but stay on, They flicker with both controllers. When you say web interface do you mean through the configutation console via 10.10.10.20 or do you mean the usb? I am not sure what you mean by packets being delivered sorry.

If you disable the ethernet, the lights continue to blink rapidly, only when you disconnect the ethernet cable or either the data cable or the clk cable do they stop blinking. We even tried running them on my wifes new laptop which runs the same operating system same problem.

They were working fine I was forced to format my computer due to to other issues when I reinstalled everything this was the problem.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The web interface is what you access for setting up the P2 via ethernet. By default they are set to 10.10.10.10 I think and you will need to have them set to 10.10.10.20 and 10.10.10.21 or similar different IP's. Somewhere on there there is a status page to indicate that data packets are being received. If there are packets being received then there is something on your PC like the LSP, LOR or similar scheduler pumping data at the P2's. The data structure that they require is such that random data shoudln't show up as data packets.
Popping into chat is probably an easy way to get sorted as there are usually some gurus on hand.

David_K

Full time elf
I have attched a jpeg of the status

Attachments

• data.jpg
    data.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 22

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
Sounds like you have the test pattern enabled, this can be found on the IP Config page of the web interface. Having this enabled and sending data as well from the PC will cause the lights to 'flicker'.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I had a 'similar' problem with a couple of my elements.
I say similar, as it had nothing to do with the computer per se.
I use and ecg d4
When I tested all of my elements in the shed, all was OK, I moved them outside and hooked them up and my north poles would randomly change colour and then stay on white. I attached a second element to the same output and it got even worse, I was like the test mode from hell.
It turned out to be the lead that I had made that went from the output of the d4 to the controllers. I had a test lead in the shed that was a cat5 connector to xlr and then when it went into the display I made a pigtail that plugged into the 3 pin xlr and hard wired to the boards. I tested it all, but decided to replace it anyway and it fixed it.
I can only assume that because there was about 2 meters coiled up in the same box as 2 power supplies, that it was picking up some EMF. Or there was a crossover and I just was too frustrated to see it when I tested it.

David_K

Full time elf
Thanks for the input guys unfortunately it is neither the test pattern or cables, I am at a loss and with December nearing fast it is hair pulling time and dont have much of that to pull these days.

David_K

Full time elf
first screenshot

Attachments

• file 1.jpg
    file 1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 22

David_K

Full time elf
last couple

Attachments

• file 4.jpg
    file 4.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 20
  • file 5.jpg
    file 5.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 32

gerry

Senior elf
Hello David,

My 'new' show computer uses Windows 8 and I use P2s with no problem.

The development machine is Windows 7 and they work interchangeably with no problem

Apologize if this has already been covered or tried:

A few things to try to eliminate any other thing that may have occurred at the same time.
from the cmd line , type in 'arp-a' to check the devices and internet address are as expected.

Ping the ip address of the P2 to ensure that it responds back correctly

have only one set of lights (and minimum length) physically connected to one of the outputs of the the P2. Disconnect any power injection cables if u have those and can do so.

On the 'string config' tab of the P2 , enable ie tick the first universe and untick any others. Save that page
(make sure u keep a screen print of what is was before)

is there anything at all set on the 'effect config' tab ?

then enable the test mode on the P2 'IP config' tab , save the config on that screen and reboot master.
Make sure that no software eg LSP etc is running and that the scheduler is not also trying to send down stuff at the same time.

You should get the P2 test pattern on the lights ie 'red' with the first few white and the white move ups.

let me know if u want to jump into chat this evening and if so what time. This is my first year , but I have probably encountered many of these problems in the last few months :).
Most of them have been because of other issues such as a cable that I would have changed at the same time etc

David_K

Full time elf
Thanks for the input Gerry much appreciated will go through your post and let you know