Property pixel border...

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I have 80m of 2811 strip that I will be putting inside corrugated flexible conduit like this...

IMG_1002.jpg

The pixel strip is around 12mm wide, the conduit I ordered is 20mm. Unfort thats the outer diameter therefore the pixel strip only JUST fits inside.

This is the property border, there will be approx 15m on the left side and approx 60-65m on the right side. I will use 1 output for the left side and one output for the right side.

Futurewiringconfigofpropborder3_zpscaef9b66.jpg

Im trying to work out a way of having the pixel non-stop of course (data) but injecting power every 10m (2 strips).

For storage purposes as well as ease of installing Im looking at cutting the conduit into 10m lots, and feeding the strip through, injecting power at the ends but of course I have to keep the data running in one continuous length. Unfort null pixel may be likely?

Im really not sure how to go about it. This is what I have as per above.....

Output 1 - Univ 80 - 148px
Output 2 - Univ 81 - 127px
- Univ 82 - 170px
- Univ 83 - 161px
- Univ 84 - 136px

Any suggestions as to how to keep the strips running but add power inj with 2-wire connectors?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'd be thinking about maybe putting a 4 pin plug/socket on each end of the 10m runs with a 2 pin for power injection at at least 1 end of it.
If the pixels are 2811 then you can go to 15m between any 2 points if I remember rightly so there probably isn't the need for null pixels depending on the placement of your P2 or P12 board/s

BTW. They are some massive universe numbers that you are getting up to Shell. I would nearly imagine that you have to have gigabit networking to get all the ones and zeroes from the pc to the blinking lights.

Binkles

Full time elf
I see these satellite pictures of cities all the time, so cannot wait to see the satellite picture of your house at christmas, it will be brighter than any city...

ShellNZ

Senior elf
lol

Thanks Alan, I was trying to somehow have the pixels run continuously without having gaps where the connectors will be but I guess I wont be able to as thats the only way I can think of doing it as well.

Very glad its looking like I wont have to null pixel anything :D

Note: I dont use universes in consecutive order, my props have random numbers. In other words....I dont have 84 universes hehe.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Cant be as bad as last years issues Eddy :)

Its now end of March, I think Im allowing enough time really given I have made up 85% of all hardware :)

Its pretty much gonna leave the rest of the year for sequencing.

Im just doing a count up of channels now.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
ShellNZ said:
Its now end of March, I think Im allowing enough time really given I have made up 85% of all hardware :)

Its pretty much gonna leave the rest of the year for sequencing.

Geez Shell,
You just made me feel so behind schedule for this year..... and its only March :)

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Hi all

Ive gotten myself into a real state now and completely confused.

I think I may have done power injection wrong.

At each ends of the runs I have the 4core white connectors to continue the run onto the next one. All 3 wires (GND, +12v and Data) are continued from one to the next. At the end of each run I have injected power by having SPT cable going from same power supply to GND & +12v at the end of the strip. So I have soldered all 3 GND wires together and all 3 +12v wires together.

Fired them up and all colors look OK, maybe a little pastey. White and yellow though in the 17m runs fades/looks yuk in the middle.

Firstly have I wired them wrong? I think what I am doing is referred to as backfeeding?

I took a pic of it all layed out, white connectors are 4core, black connectors are 2core power inj.

IMG_1555_zps0adf871b.jpg

After chatting today and getting myself into a complete confused state I came up with this pic....

Futurewiringconfigofpropborder_zps02fcbb45.jpg

As you can see I have added a second power supply into the equation closer to the 2 x 17m runs. Hoping that improves it? As far as I can see I currently have power going into the beginning AND end of the runs and thats not enough for the 17m runs.

Can anyone please shed some light as the light in my brain is not coming on. I really am stuck as to what to do.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Use these simple rule with 12vdc strip and power injection

You must inject every 10 metres as you will also get voltage drop through the strips. So that is inject between strip 2 and 3 and between strip 4 and 5 or if you had just 4 strips (20 metres) or 2 strips (10 metres) you would also inject at the end of the strip.

Ensure the cable you use for injection can handle the current of 2 strips, the larger the guage the better, so if you used 4 core 14/020 security cable (rated at approx 4.5 amps) then you would double up the cores.

Any injection distances over 15 metres should look at either upping the guage of the cable or having a power supply closer to the lights.

Follow these rules and you will be OK

ecbailey

Full time elf
Hi Shell

How is the brightness and colour looking through the conduit once you got the injection issues fixed??

I was thinking the flexible conduit would make for good arches!

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Apologies for late reply.

Color looks awesome through the flexible conduit, works really well. I use this flexible conduit for my arches as well as seen in my videos.

davrus

Silent elf
I'm new to this, 2014 will be my first Christmas show.
I am curious, why did you choose to have 10m lengths ? (Presumably you had to feed 2 x 5m strips into the 10m conduit, which could have difficulties, and if you ever had to go do anything with the join between the strips, you had to slide 5 m out.)
Wondering why you didn't go with 5m conduit lengths, take the connectors out the backside, and join the two lengths together with transparent duct tape, so there is no apparent gap between the two strips. Would be easier storage, and all joins would be accessable for power injection or maintenance.
Or have I missed something.

Also wondering what did you do to solve your power loss problem ? Was the last suggestion the one you went with ?

Thanks.