Question about daisy chaining

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi guys, Im in the process of working out what controller will be positioned where on the front lawn.
I have a question, Im not 100% sure on
If I have say 8 ray 27's all chained together. Ray 1 through to Ray 8.
But lets say, ray 1 has channels 1 to 27 and then ray 2 has start channel 67 upwards.
Do the controllers need to be in order??
IE. Ray 1 (ch1 to 27) ray 2 (Ch 28 to 54)
or can I have them in no particular order and the controllers are notified by start addresses Ive set.
So I could have Ray 1 connected to ray 2 but Ray 2 starts at Ch 67 for example?

reason for the question. in my set up that Im hoping to achieve, channel 1 will actually be assigned to the last controller in the Chain

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
it doesnt matter where they are in the chain they all see the same data. mix them or duplicate them as you need to

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Steve's reply raises a good point. Since each controller sees the whole universe that's on the cable, they are not aware of each other at all. This means you can overlap channel allocations partly or fully to get extra outputs if need be.

For example, you may have built several self contained DMX props that for now you're happy to operate as copies of each other. Set the start addresses the same and you only need to program as one controller in software. Then later you can use separate start addresses and split them up in the sequencing software. No hardware changes required! :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
You should also put a 120ohm termination resistor at the end of the daisy chain too but in a lot of cases you can get away without doing it.