Question on PLacement of Items in Preview and Use of Effects

Jimbo

Full time elf
Hi,

Been getting into Xlights and I must say wow, what a fantastic program.

One question I have since I have started the programming side is that when effects are used like curtain for example going left to right or up and down, am I correct in understanding that where these items are placed in the preview, xlights automatically detects this and creates the effect to match across the items?

Because it is doing it in preview as I would like and just want to make sure my items are exactly in the correct place so they go on/off in the correct order.

If it is as above (which I believe it is) - this is an amazing feature!

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
Hi there Jimbo,

I believe as long as your physical display matches your preview it all should line up and perform just as good if not better than the video playback.

You are right this is a great program and has awesome easy to use features. ;)

gerry

Senior elf
Hello,

In addition to the above, in xLights , you can place effects at the Group level or/as-well-as the model level (ie a group 'All Arches can have say Arch 1 , Arch 2 ... Arch 6 in it).

The results are different and when using the group level , the 'rectangular' area selected is not just round where your models are.
So sometimes it may seem that the effect is not starting or ending where u want it to do eg starts a bit late and accordingly you need to adjust the effect or use one of the attributes at the group level to control this .
(I just adjust the start or end time of the effect)

Gilrock

Full time elf
I forget if it's in the current release or the upcoming one but Dan added a new Model Group option called "Minimal Grid" which will restrict it to the size of the containing models which should eliminate some confusion when placing effects on groups. It should probably be the default you use unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

gerry

Senior elf
Gilrock said:
I forget if it's in the current release or the upcoming one but Dan added a new Model Group option called "Minimal Grid" which will restrict it to the size of the containing models which should eliminate some confusion when placing effects on groups. It should probably be the default you use unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

Next release Gil :)

Gilrock

Full time elf
gerry said:
Gilrock said:

Next release Gil :)

Yep I guess you need to be one of our power users that gets setup to be able to pull and compile our changes early.

gerry

Senior elf
Gilrock said:
Yep I guess you need to be one of our power users that gets setup to be able to pull and compile our changes early.

Not me .. you/Dan mentioned it and Steve G tried and commented on the changes..

Gilrock

Full time elf
gerry said:
Gilrock said:

Not me .. you/Dan mentioned it and Steve G tried and commented on the changes..

No I meant get setup to build the code and you don't have to wait. :)