Raspberry Pi 3 running from Ethernet

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I would love to connect my Rasberry Pi up to my home network via Ethernet. If I do that, how do I connect to my falcon F16v3?

Dez

I believe the rasberry Pi only has one Ethernet port

Dez

Oh......I see. That’s a whole lot of extra wiring. Maybe I might have to just use wifi

Dreamin

Full time elf
The F16 and the FPP Pi have to have their own network cable back to the switch/router.
What I have is a separate router that everything is wire connected too, they are pretty cheap and then I wifi in from my desktop to change settings etc. That way the load isn't on my home network either, it's only on the dedicated (not connected to the internet) router.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Below is taken from the 101 manual. Replace one of the devices on the right with your Pi, same setup. The network switch lets you connect multiple controllers and your pi to your computer as required.
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvdapi570kdp6as/network.JPG?dl=0

Dez

The F16 and the FPP Pi have to have their own network cable back to the switch/router.
What I have is a separate router that everything is wire connected too, they are pretty cheap and then I wifi in from my desktop to change settings etc. That way the load isn't on my home network either, it's only on the dedicated (not connected to the internet) router.

I have central router in my home already which is 20 metres away from where my controller box will be. I was hoping to just upload files to the Pi using Ethernet rather than wifi. I thought the Ethernet connection on the Pi could just connect straight to the falcon. I didn’t realise both devices had to go back to my home router

Dez

Below is taken from the 101 manual. Replace one of the devices on the right with your Pi, same setup. The network switch lets you connect multiple controllers and your pi to your computer as required.
View: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvdapi570kdp6as/network.JPG?dl=0

Yes and that’s what I want to do. But it seems from the above posts that when I connect my Ethernet cable from my router/switch to the Pi, I no longer a have spare port to connect to the falcon without running a whole new cable back to my router/switch.

Sorry for the back and forth. Just a tad confused

PoPoRacer

New elf
You could do this but you would have to add an inexpensive switch at the location you have the Pi. Connect your existing Ethernet cable into the switch and then connect your Pi and F16 into the switch.

TerryK

Retired Elf
You haven't indicated how far apart the RPi and F16V3 are. If in the same enclosure the addition of a small 3 to 5 port switch inside the enclosure is likely best. Replace the RPi to Falcon cable with 2 cables, one from each device to the newly added switch. Whether or when you want to connect a PC or your router to the enclosure RPI or Falcon, connect the PC and/or router cable to the switch, the PC and/or router will see both.

If your RPi does not have Wifi built in, you could add a USB Wifi adapter, failr easy to do but you would not be able to see the Falcon on the router network. A Wifi router configured as an access point should also work but that is more complex/costly and I can't really reccommend it. As others have suggested, adding a small switch is best.

Reactions: Dez