Raspberry Pi output

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi all. Unsure if this is the right area of the forum (mod's please move if required)
I've now got an Raspberry Pi (B+ model) and I have successfully loaded FPP OS onto it and have loaded a sequence and a music file. It appears to be operating fine as I could access it via my network and configure the files & schedules. When it comes time to play it comes to life and I can hear the music from the sequence (via headphones as I don't have a transmitter/speaker setup this year) yet the lights fail to work.
I know that I've got power to the lights & DC boards as I have successfully had them running in test mode (Ray 27ch running dumb strip) so I'm pretty sure I don't have something setup correctly on the Pi.
In Chat I've been asked about multicast & Unicast over E1.31. I have no idea what this is so hoping someone could help point me in the right direction as I can't seem to find the answers to this issue on the Falcon Christmas site. I'm nearly there, I just don't seem to get the lights working (kinda the whole point right?!)
I've setup the my D2 correctly and the Pi is setup for 1 universe of 512 channels (I'm barely using 30 all up this year.)

Cheers, Graham

Habbosrus

Back again
Can you post a screenshot of your setup page on the PI? Have you converted files to fseq via Xlights/Nutcracker? Your files need to be converted to fseq to run via FPP.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Habbosrus said:
Can you post a screenshot of your setup page on the PI? Have you converted files to fseq via Xlights/Nutcracker? Your files need to be converted to fseq to run via FPP.

I'm running Vixen 3 and it has the fseq export option built in. Will post screen caps when I get a chance later this evening.

damo1271

Full time elf
Did you also set up the channels on the Pi? In the configuration page (sorry I don't have my Pi on to be able to see the correct names) the IP address of the D2 (if you are using unicast) and the universe numbers need to be specified.

There is also a box to enable E1.31 output, I can't remember which menu its in but you must tick it. I found this one from experience!

I can give more accurate details later tonight once I power up my system if someone hasn't been able to be more specific in helping you.

battle79

Full time elf
I'm guessing you haven't set the outputs up in vixen3. You need to go into setup and add a E1.31 controller and set it up as if your going to output to your lights from vixen, including adding in the universe addressing.

Then you need to set the Pi up to mirror this setup.

Only then will the export function give you what your looking to achieve.

Regards,
Rowan

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi All.

Attached are my current Vixen & Pi setups - both Multicast. Is there anything else I might be missing here?

Attachments

• Vixen setup.jpg
    Vixen setup.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Pi B+ setup.jpg
    Pi B+ setup.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 58

Habbosrus

Back again
I'm not familiar with vixen but the setup appears ok. Have you tried the test page on the pi? It will help you determine if your setup on the pi can talk to lights.

damona

Full time elf
Looks like your only using 28 channels. Please expand the house and EGG and update the image.
28 channels is about 9 pixels.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
ԆцряєсϮ said:
Graham
I note your Pi is in the IP range 192.168.#.#
What was your D2 set at again?
They need to be able to talk to each other

I'm not sure how I check the IP of my D2?? Doesn't seem to appear in Network in Windows when I connect to network. Also unsure how I change the D2 to get it within the same ballpark as my network & Pi??

Looks like your only using 28 channels. Please expand the house and EGG and update the image.
28 channels is about 9 pixels

Yes only 28 channels but I'm only using Dumb RGB and a few DC strings - no pixels this year.

damo1271

Full time elf
The default IP address on the D2 is 10.10.10.10. You can try logging onto that IP address but you may need to change your network adaptor setup in your PC to allow connection to a 10.10.10.10 range.

There is also a way to force the D2's IP back to the default (10...10) if you have changed it and can not remember the IP. It uses jumper settings but I dont know what they are - someone else may have that answer.

Once you can log on to the D2 then it is simple to set the new IP address via the 'IP config' page. And then you can use unicast which will reduce your network load.

A question and approach that hasn't been asked or commented on...
Consider taking this back to simplest setup. When/if you run the show in vixen 3 do the lights light up?
There probably isnt much point looking at the Pi option until the lights operate via vixen 3. Vixen 3 will run the show if everything is set up correctly. Once that is working then export to the PI.

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks Damo.
I have had success at flashing lights from my old laptop (Vixen 3) so I know that that all works. Its since I've swapped out my laptop for the Pi that I have not had control of the lights.
10.10.10.10 is not working via my web browser so it may be something else. Might try the jumper trick and see if I can then get into it.
You bring up unicast - I had it setup as Multicast. I;m not sure I fully understand the difference. My setup will be:
Pi > D2 > Ray27ch > AVD48ch. I will use my main PC on my home network to sequence and then export onto the Pi. Does this have any influence on multi or unicast?

damo1271

Full time elf
Unicast vs multi cast is very much like the post.
If you have flashed lights with your old laptop then perhaps try looking at the IP addresses there - or did you also use multicast.

Unicast is where I address the mail to you at your street address. Because it is addressed to you, with your name on it, you know that it is for you and hence you look at it.
Multicast is like the junk mail that you get. It goes to everyone in the street and those that want to read it do, those that dont, just throw it away.
Unicast therefore has less load on the network. If you know the IP addresses of the D2 then unicast is very simple to use. Just add the IP address of the controller into the setup fields.

You may need to tweak the IP settings for your network to access a 10.10.10.10 address if your network is using 192.168.x.x ranges. I dont know exactly though, but suffice to say if you cant access the D2 once you have reset the IP address, then investigate setting up a 10.10.10.x range on your network in addition to the 192... range.

Attachments

• D2 ctlr config.jpg
    D2 ctlr config.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 26

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
damo1271 said:
You may need to tweak the IP settings for your network to access a 10.10.10.10 address if your network is using 192.168.x.x ranges. I dont know exactly though, but suffice to say if you cant access the D2 once you have reset the IP address, then investigate setting up a 10.10.10.x range on your network in addition to the 192... range.

How do I do this on a Win 7 PC? I've never really played around with IP addresses before. My network has been pretty straight forward plug & play. Sounds like all I need to do is access the D2 and change it to a 192.168.x.x IP and I should be OK??

damona

Full time elf
damo1271That is not how multicast works. Its less load on the network. Its less Packets, if your universe are setup correctly. One person on this form had issues with to many universe, his computer could not transmit all the data in time. Multicasting allows you to have less universe with less packets.

Multicasting is the Standard for E131. Unicast does not existing in the standard at all.

Here is a thread on Multicasting.
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=6283.0