Raspberry Pi

jrk1963

New elf
Hi
I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question, but here goes.
I've just purchased an E682 pixel controller, and it is on the way. I think I have a handle on what I would like to accomplish for Christmas 2016. I plan to use it with my Light-O-Rama software.
I've seen some threads about the Raspberry Pi. From what I can tell, it is a good thing, but I can't figure out how it is being utilized. I did see one thread about using it as a DMX bridge, but I don't think I need that with the E682 since it accepts E.131. How are people using the Raspberry Pi in their displays?
Thanks
Jerry

scamper

Dedicated elf
I use vixen software, so not sure how other software handles it, but basically, you do all the sequencing on your computer, output it in pi player format and run your whole show from your Pi.
A Pi is basically a very powerful basic computer. You just need the software to run it which a lot of people have spent a lot of time developing.
I ran it for the first time last year and it ran perfectly without any freezing or crashing.
after the previous year which I ran the show without any pixels, so very few channels, and it crashed at least twice on a brand new computer.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I don't think you can use the PI with LOR software but you may be able to convert an LOR sequence to run on a PI

Skunberg

Full time elf
Pi replaces your pc to run your show. So the Pi would run your E682. It isn't a sequencer. So you make you show with your lor software, then use xlights to convert lor to FPP for pi.

jrk1963

New elf
Thanks all. That sounds like something I might like to try.
If I am understanding this correctly, I can use a Raspberry Pi with my E682 and my existing LOR controllers in DMX mode.
The FPP software is for the Raspberry PI and is what plays the light show? Is this the Falcon Player that I've seen mentioned here? Does the FPP software also play the music?
Thanks
Jerry

i13

Dedicated elf
Yes the FPP (Falcon Pi Player) software goes on the Raspberry Pi which plays the light show. It plays the music too.

The one thing I don't 100% know is all f the options you have for getting DMX running with the Raspberry Pi. It will send E1.31 data for your E682 which can output DMX but I'm not sure if the LOR controllers accept 2 wire DMX from the E682. DMX usually has a third wire - you'll need to look into this further. There are probably other ways to get DMX from the Raspberry Pi but I don't know them.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Yes you can use LOR controllers directly from a Pi with a dongle but you may get mixed results in success as it's not very reliable in my experience.
If your e682 has DMX outputs use those to control your LOR controllers via e131

scamper

Dedicated elf
The output from the Pi is just a Ethernet connection, exactly like out of any other computer.
So whatever you use on your computer, you would use on the Pi.
It is just a computer after all, only smaller and dedicated (in this case)

Thinkagainagain

New elf
Check out falcon Christmas, there's great video tutorials on how to set up your pi and fpp to get your show running. Excellent support forum too when you're running into problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thinkagainagain

New elf
Thinkagainagain said:
Check out falcon Christmas, there's great video tutorials on how to set up your pi and fpp to get your show running. Excellent support forum too when you're running into problems.

Not that I'm trying to steer you away from AusChristmasLighting... Great support there too :)

jrk1963

New elf
Thanks all
Right now I am using the USB adapter and the RS485 protocol that LOR supports.
The LOR controllers also can be used in DMX mode. I think the difference is the cabling and the way the channel addresses are assigned in the software.
I like the idea of the Raspberry PI, it would probably be cheaper to run than a full blown computer with hard drives spinning 24-7 during the holidays. Also I could set the display up with an isolated network so that I don't have to worry about security on my home network. Don't like the idea of live Ethernet jacks outside the house that are connected to my network.
I'll need to figure out how to get from E1.31 to the DMX for the LOR controllers. I think the E682 has this capability, just need to figure out how to do it. I'm still putting the E682 kit together.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.