Ray Wu 3 Pin Pigtails

damona

Full time elf
This is what I have worked out based on mixed information from Ray.
Anyone can confirm this?
[attachimg=1]

Attachments

• Ray Wu Pigtail Standard.png
    Ray Wu Pigtail Standard.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 461

algerdes

Al Gerdes
damona said:
This is what I have worked out based on mixed information from Ray.
Anyone can confirm this?
[attachimg=1]

That is what I have from scoping it out.
As far as using the wire color, though not as often as I have seen in the past, there have been changes from time to time. Position is definitely the way to go. Always check.

tooms

12v4life
I always check with a multimeter (continuity check) before using them, I solder my own pigtails onto props and then wire them directly into the board so I've been able to keep it consistent, but I'd never just plug something in expecting it to work.

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
With my experiences never trust wire colors markings on strips or strings color orders eg. Rgb constantly not right I also put my own pigtails on and treat every strip or string individual as even in same batches or orders have found differences annoying yes but seems to be the normal thing .

damona

Full time elf
Ray does not make the 13.5mm pigtails he orders them from someone else. So I suppose his supplier is not consistent with the colour of the wires. And I think the large size he stocks comes from another supplier. What he has told me in the past is the 13.5 supplier is more flexible, hence their are more adapters available in this size.

i13

Dedicated elf
Interesting.

For some random unknown reason, I have always used the 15mm ones and I first ordered them in 2014. So far the wiring has been the same between orders. Can't speak for anything other than the ordinary 3 pin connectors though.

Binny

Apprentice elf
As many has said over and over, and not to mention the many other times this has been brought up in other topics, you simply can not trust or rely on what has be said.

My opinion its not in the 101 manual is because so many variations when it has been received in the mail. M[SIZE=small]aybe Ray purchases them from different vendors. [/SIZE]

This is Rays wiring setup for his 3 pin:

Blue = Data
Red = DC+
Yellow = GND

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10pcs-lot-3-Core-BLACK-Waterproof-pigtail-50cm-long-each-male-and-female-male-connector-s/701799_1495727183.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000013.1.26CUNX

However the image at the bottom of this forum shows different color configuration.

Blue = GND
Red = DC+
Yellow = Data

algerdes

Al Gerdes
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I have been looking for this diagram/page for several days now. As I prepare to "dumb down" several sections of the displays, this is most valuable.

Al

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Binny said:
My opinion its not in the 101 manual is because so many variations when it has been received in the mail. M[SIZE=small]aybe Ray purchases them from different vendors. [/SIZE]

This is correct, there is no standard and there have been variations and inconsistencies seen in the past for anyone to document this reliably. Especially if it being soldered by a 3rd party in China, Its always best to check and confirm yourself

Generally the standard I have followed is
red = +V
Black = Ground
Blue or green = Data

But we have seen colour variations and incorrect colours used in the past

Kitman

Full time elf
Well I have now ordered and received 4 orders from Ray for my Icicle lights. So far the pig tails have all been the same and as described in this post, however since I got the connectors attached to my icicle lights it's very hard to work out what it what due to the icicles being all white wires, that's why I double check every single lot before plugging them in, however luckily they have all been identically wired and also identical colour configuration.

Always double check with a multimeter before you blow up lights or controllers.

damona

Full time elf
Just for interest sake, From Google Land
In Australia, electricity is supplied at 240V and 50Hz. The Active wire (high potential) is coloured brown (used to be red). The Neutral wire (low potential) is coloured blue (used to be black). The Earth wire is striped green and yellow (used to be only green).Jan 20, 2015

Some how this matches the diagram if you consider "Earth" to be "Data"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60446