Ray Wu pixel tester

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I ordered one of these from Ray.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DC12V-input-WS2811-LED-smart-pixel-controller-for-testing-max-100pixels-controlled/701799_652082488.html

The one I have doesn't have a 12V+ on the downstream side to connect to the strip. I figure it is okay if I just run a new +ve from the same power source to the strip and bypass the controller thing. Is this alright.

On mine there is only the blue (DI) and back (GND) wires coming from the controller.

It still says ws2811 on the controller but there is only 2 connections in the plug at the end which seems odd. You would think that should trigger off an alarm that it is not right.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
If you measure between the two black wires on your multimeter (on resistance) it should read very low (less than 1 Ohm).

Assuming it does, you would parallel the power to the strip and input to the controller and connect the blue wire to the pixel data in.

You can either leave the "output" black wire unconnected or join to input black wire.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks David, will check.

Slightly different topic but I just got out the ws2811 strip. It has 4 tabs at the end of each pixel. They are VCC, 2xGND and a DI. The way Ray has I wired one of the grounds goes to the controller and the other ground goes to the powers source. I gather both of the grounds are linked and effectively he could have soldered the two ground wires to the one tab on the strip and it would of been the same.

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona
Have a bunch of these too, both black wires can be tied together if you want. Ray used to put 2 gnd wires on the 3 strip ones but just started doing it this way recently.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BundyRoy said:
Thanks David, will check.

Slightly different topic but I just got out the ws2811 strip. It has 4 tabs at the end of each pixel. They are VCC, 2xGND and a DI. The way Ray has I wired one of the grounds goes to the controller and the other ground goes to the powers source. I gather both of the grounds are linked and effectively he could have soldered the two ground wires to the one tab on the strip and it would of been the same.

The reason there is 2 black ground wires is for power injection purposes, one wire connects to the next ground wire of the string/strip and the other connects to the ground of the incoming injected power.
You dont connect the +V between the 2 unless you are using the same power supply and the data just connects to the next string/light, so that is the reason you will see 2 ground wires