Ray Wu Power Supplies 5V

Goulburn

New elf
Just a heads up everyone. Always check the output polarity of these power supplies. The +5V , and +5V outputs were reversed to what was displayed on the outside sticker.

It was just lucky that I tested the outputs before connecting to my JSYS controller.

Edit: yes, I did have my multi meter terminals the correct way, tested with a 9V household battery, which gave correct results.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Can you post a pic of any labelling on the supply so we know what the offending article looks like.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Wow I have about 15 of the 5V ones (all 350W - 250W in real terms) and they are all the same and no issues with polarity, but I do check them unloaded and loaded to about 200W for 30 mins before they ever get plugged in to controllers

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Easiest way to check them is an initial check with a multimeter for correct Voltage and polarity
Then just connect the appropriate amount of lights directly to sit at about 80% of the rated value of the supply.
leave em on for about 10 mins and check if the supply heats up at all.
If they get real hot at 80% I wouldnt use them in the show.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Just another good heads up to remind people that there can always be something amiss and you should always check twice just to save yourself a bigger headache later on.

dannyp

Full time elf
I have a multimeter but I'm not sure exactly how to use it to check polarity

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
DannyP said:
I have a multimeter but I'm not sure exactly how to use it to check polarity
Your multimeter should have a red and a black lead on it. The red lead is the positive one.
You take and select the DC voltage scale on the meter and then touch the black lead to the negative terminal on the power supply and the red lead to the positive terminal. The meter should read a positive voltage. If it reads a negative voltage then the power supply is probably mislableled.
You can check your meter by using a 9 volt battery and checking the voltage on it since the battery is labeled with a + sign on the positive terminal. That will tell you that your meter is correct.

Habbosrus

Back again
Thanks for the heads up. Just a thought, I, like Danny, am not all that familiar with multimeters. Any chance someone with knowledge could post a little something in the learning centre? I know it's a bit of an ask, but it would certainly help newbies like Danny and I. I will put my hand up to help in any way I can, as long as it's not technical knowledge - ha, ha (There would be a bunch of fried newbies around the place if I did it). :'(
Cheers

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Habbosrus said:
Thanks for the heads up. Just a thought, I, like Danny, am not all that familiar with multimeters. Any chance someone with knowledge could post a little something in the learning centre? I know it's a bit of an ask, but it would certainly help newbies like Danny and I. I will put my hand up to help in any way I can, as long as it's not technical knowledge - ha, ha (There would be a bunch of fried newbies around the place if I did it). :'(
Cheers

There are heaps of tutorials on using multimetres on you tube, just go and do a search on youtube with 'how to use a multimeter for beginners' and you will find what you need

Here is the first episode of a series i found quickly on youtube
How to use a Multimeter for beginners: Part 1 - Voltage measurement

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Eddy - chalk up a topic for the Sydney Mini - using a multimeter to test current and voltage. I can do that plus practical demo if you want

Brian000

Aviation visual reference engineer
Goulburn said:
Just a heads up everyone. Always check the output polarity of these power supplies. The +5V , and +5V outputs were reversed to what was displayed on the outside sticker.

It was just lucky that I tested the outputs before connecting to my JSYS controller.

Edit: yes, I did have my multi meter terminals the correct way, tested with a 9V household battery, which gave correct results.

Thanks for the heads up, I have two in the box that still haven't been opened yet.