Ray Wu woes

videoman3857

Full time elf
Anybody else having problems with Ray Wu ?
I ordered and received sample lights from Ray last year to experiment with.
I settled on a wire spacing and ordered custom single colour leds using the same codes for the lights that were with the invoice.
A bit of to-ing and fro-ing, my order was placed after telling Ray I had used the codes on the sample he sent me last year.
My order was dispatched, took 2 days from China to Oz and then was held up in customs thanks to Ray not declaring the freight value he charged to send the items. Consequently Customs used a so called formula and calculated that freight would be $3000 - it was $400. Consequently I have been overcharged GST and Customs duties by $300 odd dollars.
Apparently I can claim credit on what they have charged, but I need proof of charge and apparently the "Pro forma invoice" with the freight on the bottom from Ray is not acceptable.
Now apart from Ray ignoring me for proof of Freight Charged, I have received my order of lights and they are totally the wrong style of LED . They are nothing like the sample and wont do my job.
On this issue Ray is also totally ignoring me. This is the second order he has mucked up on me, with last year seeing him send me the wrong wire that I ordered. ( At least he acknowledged that error and we came to an arrangement)

Just wondering if others are having problems?
The lack of acknowledgment and help has left me bitter and there is (at the moment) no way I am going to use him for any more of my orders.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I have had no problems with Ray, and always supply links and descriptions for the items I want. For custom items they always include a drawing and I ask that he asks me if he does not understand

For orders I make sure I come in well under $AU 1000 including postage, and if Ray asks me, I specify to put the proper value on the order, not under value it as Customs are not idiots.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
i have been using Ray for 10 years and never ever had an issue. i have always given him a link of the products i want and quantity.

in regards to the customs side of it, i would assume you have done an order over $1000 dollars. this is why i do 3 orders or so a year with him to keep under the $1000

when i have asked for a quote ray has always provided freight charge on it so i know before ordering

also did you do a drawn diagram of what you want?

why can you not use the ones he has sent you???

videoman3857

Full time elf
@ Lithgowlights The Lights Ray made me are to all my measurements etc. The special build, so to speak, is perfect - I have no problems with that side of things.
The leds however are Not the same as the sample he sent me
The leds were ordered as per the codes he gave me for the Leds
The picture of the leds on the proforma invoice are the the same as the sample he sent and as per the code he quoted.

@ Benslights. Yes, my order was over $ 1000 for the first time . I didn't worry about the $ value cause GST is on any $ value we buy now.
It was my first experience with customs - and that's being written off as a learning curve.
Ray quoted me a price for my gear with freight on the bottom, as per every other order he has done for me and yes I told him to declare everything - I have nothing to hide and prepared to pay the GST and import duties (which was very low) , BUT Ray declared the full amount WITHOUT itemizing the freight as part of that full dollar amount. Customs then said freights not included, there's no proof of charge and calculated the freight to be $3000 and promptly charged $300 gst on that calculation. Freight was just over $400
I can get the difference back from Customs, I just need an invoice from Ray showing the freight charge shown separate, but the dollar value included in the total amount he charged me. - just like the proforma Invoice. The "Pro-Forma" that Ray sends as his "Quote" shows this, but Customs wont accept it because it is not an invoice as it does not contain an invoice number. Ray has no responded to my request regarding this. It is a simple thing to do

In regards to the lights - he has done the wiring the way I wanted, the spacing is to my requirements etc, But the LED's are not what he sent as a sample and is what I wanted and need for my project.
The lights are to used in Driveway arches. The arches are pre drilled conduit and the lights are inserted so they are facing down to the driveway surface and are viewed from the side. ie. Entering and exiting the property. The lights I ordered from Ray were to have the 12 mm body of the RGB or Smart Pixels and have the rounded frosted top hat lens of the RGB and Smart Pixel that sticks out about 8mm. What Ray sent had a clear lens that protrudes only 3 mm. When inserted into the conduit, the leds can not be seen from the side. When viewed straight on the LEDs generate a bright but, a small pin point about 2mm instead of 8mm if housed in the frosted lens that I wanted/ordered.

I understand people can make mistakes and the mistake made has affected 50000 lights in my order.
I have double check Rays Pro forma invoice and the Photo that he inserts to show what the item is, or looks like, IS what I ordered and is exactly the same as the sample he sent .

What I am really annoyed about, is the no response to any of my e-mails pertaining to the leds not being what I ordered or the assistance with an invoice acceptable to Australian customs.
My e-mails have been friendly and non demanding. I am not asking him to remake the lights at his expense or anything like that. I am asking him to communicate with me and see what we can work out. - that's good business sense.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
So when was the last email you sent to him? I am happy to contact him on your behalf to get him to contact you. do you have a link to what you wanted and what he sent you?

videoman3857

Full time elf
So when was the last email you sent to him? I am happy to contact him on your behalf to get him to contact you. do you have a link to what you wanted and what he sent you?
Thanks for the reach out. I received an email from Ray on the 12 June requesting I pay the customs fee to have the goods released as the matter was becoming urgent. (to whom I don't know) I replioed the same day about the GST problem and trying to get it sorted.
I have since contacted Ray June 13,20. I have just sent him another friendly "Please help" email this evening. I'll see how that pans out
I haven't gone back to his site to see if I can find a link on what he sent this time.
I have the sample I purchased last year and of course the light he has sent me.
I have just sent Ray more photo's showing the difference of the Sample and the the one's he sent.
Hopefully he will make contact and we'll get it sorted.
The one's he has sent are not useless, just unusable for my driveway project. No doubt I'll be able to find something else to use them in - after all they're still lights.

videoman3857

Full time elf
Ends up the problem was caused on his end last year
Apparently someone packed the wrong sample lights last year.
The code on the invoice is the incorrect code for the sample lights I received.
The code on the invoice is for the lights I have just received and what I should have received as a sample
Checking the web site confirms the light lens style.
You live and learn. Next time don't quote codes. Use photo's instead.