Ray's 12v DMX flood lights, how do you wire that signal plug?

arw01

Full time elf
For Ray's 12v RGB floodlights that are DMX controlled. What's the wiring for them when I want to control them from Pixelnet hubs that output standard DMX..

All the cabling for the hub is CAT 5 and I'm not sure what the pin out would be to have the 3 lines on a standard XLR connector.

kane

Dedicated elf
arw01 said:
For Ray's 12v RGB floodlights that are DMX controlled. What's the wiring for them when I want to control them from Pixelnet hubs that output standard DMX..

All the cabling for the hub is CAT 5 and I'm not sure what the pin out would be to have the 3 lines on a standard XLR connector.

Assuming PixelNet follows the "standard", then it should be Pin 1 for Data +, Pin 2 for Data - and Pin 7 for Ground.

http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/DMX_Adapter_Leads

The dmx spots I have do not have separate DMX in and out, so I just hook both in and out to the same. And obviously power goes to +ve and gnd

Hope that helps a little?

Gilrock

Full time elf
I've only run LOR controllers with a DMX output and wanted to add a few DMX items like these flood lights. What I was wondering is how do you wire multiple ones? The LOR boxes daisy chained together so I think I know how to wire its output to the first light but what about more?

kane

Dedicated elf
CopperCreekLights said:
I've only run LOR controllers with a DMX output and wanted to add a few DMX items like these flood lights. What I was wondering is how do you wire multiple ones? The LOR boxes daisy chained together so I think I know how to wire its output to the first light but what about more?

Because they are DMX, you would normally have a DMX in and a DMX out. But in actual fact, most dmx in and outs are actually connected in parallel, so if a device doesn't have a specific dmx out, then you just connect both the in and out to the same point (these dmx floods don't have specific in & out)

So this is exactly what I do with my floods, daisy chain them.. I have two cables that run from my garage to each light, daisy chaining to each one (one cable for power, one for dmx signal). Each flood is programmed with it's own dmx start address, so just responds to those three channels.. (you can get a programmer to change the start address if you like, but Ray usually supplies them pre-programmed)

Cheers

Gilrock

Full time elf
Thanks for the info. My initial use is going to be for a snowflake I bought from holidaycoro. I've never used the dumb rgb stuff so I wanted to just buy one and try it out. So I have the dumb 3 channel DMX controller. If I like it I was going to get a couple more snowflakes buts I wanted to figure out how I would daisy chain the signals.