Ready to step up light game... Need help!!!

Jon Haack

New elf
G'Day guys,
First time posting on here. Im from Queensland near the Sunshine Coast. Ive been putting up lights for Christmas for a few years and was hooked from the first time I did it. Ive only done small static displays on our home. this year I'm so keen to step up the light game with pixels and controllers with software.

The problem is that I have zero knowledge on how to go about it or even what to buy and how to setup the software to make an impressive show.

Is there anyone on here that could help me on where to start?

Troy ELD

Full time elf
Community project designer
Welcome!

Unfortunately with limited knowledge and hardware, You'll be struggling to get a show together for this year. Download the 101 manual and start reading, reading and reading! Get into chat and ask as many questions as you'd like, Someone will always answer.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL! It can be a steep learning curve starting out, and as mentioned above potentially missed the boat for a controlled display this year. That said if you have an idea of what you want, there's nothing stopping you starting to buy the gear required and having a play, you may still get something going. Just dont go rushing out and buying the first things you see until you are really sure on what you are trying to achieve. We're all here to help, we've all been new at some stage!

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL
Get yourself over to xLights download the latest Beta version (don't forget the Vamp plugin and C++ (if needed)) and then have a look at the many videos on how to use it. Keith has recently posted a new how to video that will help get you started.
There's always the option of controlling some of your existing lights.

Boof63

Senior elf
Read the Manual, watch the videos amnd yes you can still have some Led's fro this year on top of the current lights you have.
Roofline or eaves , some arches are easy to setup and work with, window outlines.
you can order from Ray Wu the actual length of lights needed with connectors (called pigtails - male and female)
so you don't have to do soldering to get started.
Drop into chat and the folks there will help you out, and or post on this forum.
Cheers Boof63

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, there is a lot to know doing a large musical Christmas display as it brings many different skills sets together and is the reason why many do this all year around because its more of a Hobby than just putting up Christmas lights. Keep at it and before you know it the pieces will start to fall in to place. Don't start too ambitious, start with something simple to add to your current display so you can familiarize yourself with parts of the lighting technology and then plan much bigger for 2018 where you will have all year to prepare

Ellis

Naughty Elf
Welcome! I'm in the same position as you except for the 3 week head start, and boy have I learnt a lot in that time.

As others have said, perhaps plan on the big display next year, but perhaps get a few things up and running this Christmas if time allows.

Lots to learn, have fun!!

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Join us in zoom from 7ish Sydney time on a Friday night and ask all the questions you want. Before you know it Fing will be showing off his controller boxes ... we are all looking forward to seeing his new one.

videoman3857

Full time elf
G'Day guys,
First time posting on here. Im from Queensland near the Sunshine Coast. Ive been putting up lights for Christmas for a few years and was hooked from the first time I did it. Ive only done small static displays on our home. this year I'm so keen to step up the light game with pixels and controllers with software.

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome
AS mentioned before, you will probably be struggling to get a big display this year.
Depending on what you want; you could start small with a "fancy display" to compliment your static display.
Depending on what you want. Lights come China and the suppliers are really busy from here in due to Halloween and Chrissy.
Controllers are available globally. If you are going smart pixels then the falcon board seems to be the favored board.
There's a lot of time involved in learning and sequencing whatever software program you choose as well.

Where are you located ? - I am Glass House Mountains if that is of any help.
This is my 2nd year and I run dumb pixels only.
Smart pixels are in the scheme of things, but I am only going to make them a "feature"

scamper

Dedicated elf
You are only limited by your budget and your time.
Meaning, if you have the budget, you can get a lot of stuff pre-made, such as lights with pigtails attached and pre-made extension leads.
The time is more about learning, planning and building. You can build as you go and what you finish gets put up, what doesn't is for next year.
If you cannot learn fast enough, then you can even purchase sequences in xlights, that you can migrate into your own display, so it is not too late, just expect a lot of work.
There was a bloke on here that started last year around this time and his display dare I say it, ended up being fantastic.