really stupid basic question....

Baf05

Full time elf
I am going to bite the bullet and jump ship from LSP....

I looked at the nutcracker web site but I am not really sure which version to down load? The latest beta? or the Production version from December?

Phrog30

New elf
Are you Mac or pc, or even Linux? Xlights is cross platform. Since you are just starting off, I would go with the latest, which is still in beta. The more beta users, the better chance of finding issues which will result in a better product for everyone.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

smeighan

Dedicated elf
i would always go with the latest. Every release fixes bugs/adds bugs. There is so much content being added weekly, i would go with latest just to learn.

All last year i ran my show on the latest, beta code. never broke the show.

Baf05

Full time elf
I have had a look, such a steep learning curve again, LSP was really easy, while I am sure xlights is too once you know how, but I hate learning new things :(

I am on Windows, :)

scamper

Dedicated elf
I am with you on that learning thing... Just get in a do it, start with the basics and you will find it all makes sense in no time.
It will be worth it I am sure.

Phrog30

New elf
Baf05 said:
I have had a look, such a steep learning curve again, LSP was really easy, while I am sure xlights is too once you know how, but I hate learning new things :(

Yes learning new things can be a drag. If you decide not to try xLights you will be missing out. There are tons of videos and online help. You won't be sorry.

I hope you give it a try.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Baf05 said:

hi Baf
Are you coming to the Sydney Mini? there will be a couple of Xlights power users and even a programmer there, they would love to convert you from the dark side. If not, a method that works for me, is to down load xlights and just create a make believe show to see how the program works, then you can go back and create the necessary models and channel patching to suit your display.

The Xlights user manual is very good.

and Lots of Xlights users here ready to help

Cheers
Fing

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Baf05 said:

I switched from LSP last year about June/July and was also concerned about starting something new. However, whilst Xlights looks a bit odd at first because you are working often at the model level rather than at the strand or node level ( which you still can) it's actually very quick to learn how to use and in a very short period of time, you will be able to put together a great sequence. Having said that, as you dig deeper into the software, you will find there are endless possibilities and combinations to keep you finding new things. Just being able to copy and paste effectively (I'm sure you know what I mean [emoji6]) will make sequencing sooooo much more enjoyable and way faster. I was pleased with what I managed to put together with my Starwars Uptown funk sequence but it only scratched the surface of what Xlights can do. And at the rate it's continuing to be enhanced, the mind boggles at what it will be able to do next year. Give it a go.... you will not be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baf05

Full time elf
I am using it now, rainy Saturday in Canberra, drawing my models. (I actually took the time a few weeks back to set must of my elements on my lawn and take a photo!) making drawing easier! Except for candy canes! Xlights wants me to have 3 but I have 5!!!! (but now fixed) I am looking forward to the actual sequencing part see how that goes :)

Troy ELD

Full time elf
Community project designer
You can adjust the amount of Candy Canes in the lower Config box in your layout screen

Baf05

Full time elf
OK so I have come back to xlights now, and I am setting models up. The RGB side is working very easily.

however I am really struggling to set up my 10 channel Big W arches and some other single colour stuff.

My Merry Christmas sign for instance uses Big W lights, 4 colours for the boarder and 1 colour for the "Merry Christmas" in LSP I just set it up as 2 channels for the boarder and 2 for the red in the words, is it the same in xlights?