Reindeer woes

thecrazylightlady

Yes I admit it.....I have the C.L.A.P
this year i have decided to take the old lights off my reindeers and replace them with nodes.... sounds easy, but each one has a total of 12m of lights on them, Can i run a length that long and can anyone suggest which ones to use?

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
as a thought,... instead of connecting them up as one long string of 12m, connect it as a spinner ( or wheel) say with 12 spokes of 1m, this should help your power/voltage drop issues, the data would have to be a serial connection as normal ?
(or two hubs, whatever fits )
Cheers
Fing

thecrazylightlady

as a thought,... instead of connecting them up as one long string of 12m, connect it as a spinner ( or wheel) say with 12 spokes of 1m, this should help your power/voltage drop issues, the data would have to be a serial connection as normal ?
(or two hubs, whatever fits )
Cheers
Fing
good idea, thanks

Kitman

Full time elf
Also just remember that the Pixel may be brighter than the original lights so just replacing like for like may not be needed, you may be able to put half as many pixels on and still get the desired result.

I am also planning on replacing the LEDs on my reindeer with Pixels this year, lucky for me though each reindeer only has about 130 leds on it so I can do a like for like swap and just inject power where the lights run to the head (the head is removable for storage so going to put in a 3 way joiner anyway) and I won't have an issue.

Just do 1 with pixels as a sample before ripping into all of them, connect the lights with twist ties and see how it looks.

thecrazylightlady

Also just remember that the Pixel may be brighter than the original lights so just replacing like for like may not be needed, you may be able to put half as many pixels on and still get the desired result.

I am also planning on replacing the LEDs on my reindeer with Pixels this year, lucky for me though each reindeer only has about 130 leds on it so I can do a like for like swap and just inject power where the lights run to the head (the head is removable for storage so going to put in a 3 way joiner anyway) and I won't have an issue.

Just do 1 with pixels as a sample before ripping into all of them, connect the lights with twist ties and see how it looks.
I didnt think about them being brighter, thanks, youre right i shouldnt need as many and will take your advice about doing only one to see how it looks