Release release 4.2.14

smeighan

Dedicated elf
release 4.2.14. This release has lots of content.

Bug fixes
New effect class Lightning
New tiled pictures as choice in Pictures

Latest releases are found at http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases/
Issue Tracker is found here: https://github.com/smeighan/xLights/issues

XLIGHTS/NUTCRACKER RELEASE NOTES:
--------------------------------
-- enh(ChrisD) Add application launcher for linux
-- bug(ChrisD) New timing dialog should be titled as such (partial fix for issue #377)
-- bug(gil) Buttons will now re-enable after an LSP export model operation.
-- enh(Keithsw) New feature in pictures, tiled pictures
-- bug(gil) Fix potential crashes for all imports where models may be hidden.
-- bug(gil) Fix LSP import effects when a target model is hidden.
-- enh (sean) New effect class Lightning
-- bug(gil) Sequence SaveAs was not saving XML in new directory.
-- bug(gil) Remove fixed attribute for timing track converted to papagayo timing.
-- enh(gil) Add LOR conversion option to show verbose channel mapping.
-- enh(Keithsw) Updated tile code to support x/y offsets in Picture effect
-- bug(dkulp) After deleting an effect, if you hit Up/Down, crash will result
-- bug(dkulp) Use native ObjectC code for clipboard paste for custom models to support pasting from Numbers
-- bug(dkulp) Click on a "node" may not hit test properly if an effect exists on the model or strand layers
-- bug(dkulp) Prevent effect from being resized so start is < 0ms which prevent effect updates/rendering/etc..
-- enh(dkulp) Add option to twinkle to re-randomize the color after each twinkle
-- enh(keith) Added tiling options to picture effect
-- bug(sean) Fixed bottom row of plasma. Bug was the bottom row was copied from top row
-- bug(ChrisD) Fix issue #368 - missing OK/Cancel on Schedule Playlist

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Awesome work Sean, Gil, Dan, Keith and to all the others involved.
I just started getting serious at programming last night and XL4 is awesome if you hadn't realised. I'm still hoping that a LOR-XL4 quick transition happens as I'm primarily playing with just a P10 panel at the moment to get some sequencing experience up,

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
AAH said:
Awesome work Sean, Gil, Dan, Keith and to all the others involved.
I just started getting serious at programming last night and XL4 is awesome if you hadn't realised. I'm still hoping that a LOR-XL4 quick transition happens as I'm primarily playing with just a P10 panel at the moment to get some sequencing experience up,

What He said :)

BTW - when are you removing the "Beta" label

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I have had 4 crashes with 4.2.13 that didn't concern me too much. It's probably mainly to do with me fumbling around not knowing what I was doing so that's why it hasn't concerned me. Calling it a beta is neither here nor there really. The development is still happening so fast that every version up until Dec 1st will probably be a beta.

I love PI, P10, BBB, FPP and XL4

smeighan

Dedicated elf
I will probably remove Beta probably in November. Each release has Dan and Gil tamping out more bugs, especially bugs that can cause a crash. Ill start a thread among the developers to see what the consensus is. You can build your 2015 shows now, so in one way it is currently production.

If you think about it, we released xlights 4.0.0 in March 20, 2015. This release is the 65th release since then. six months or so probably is a pretty normal beta cycle for the complexity we have.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
:) and inside 24hrs we have 4.2.15 :)

make that 66 releases....

Not sure how you would go getting this past my Change Management process at work though :)

Cheers

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I always tend to crash when Ive changed a model somehow then try to render. But then again, today I was rendering and it was fine, then the next minute, doing the same thing as I had just done 5 times it crashed, no difference in what I was doing.

damona

Full time elf
Still look at using Vixen 3 this year. It has support for icicles i.e. hanging pixels. In xlights you need to use a customer model but when your rotate it 20deg (match roof outline) the icicles are no longer hanging down with gravity.

V3 | XL4 \
| \
| \
| vs \

Anyone else deciding to convert from vixen3 to XL4

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
damona said:
Still look at using Vixen 3 this year. It has support for icicles i.e. hanging pixels. In xlights you need to use a customer model but when your rotate it 20deg (match roof outline) the icicles are no longer hanging down with gravity.

V3 | XL4 \
| \
| \
| vs \

I installed the latest xl last night and was watching the tutorial whilst using it live for the first time. Controller setup seemed to be a lot easier than Vixen however I haven't actually turned on my lights to check that it actually is working 100%. There are more effects but it is geared towards those with mega trees or matrix displays. I only have gutters & roof outlines so most of the effects are a bit lost and just look like random flashing, but having the preview window on top and moveable is a plus over Vixen. I'll still need a bit more a play before I decide which way I'll go, as I'll need to start sequencing very soon!

logandc99

Dedicated elf
djgra79 said:
damona said:

V3 | XL4 \
| \
| \
| vs \

I installed the latest xl last night and was watching the tutorial whilst using it live for the first time. Controller setup seemed to be a lot easier than Vixen however I haven't actually turned on my lights to check that it actually is working 100%. There are more effects but it is geared towards those with mega trees or matrix displays. I only have gutters & roof outlines so most of the effects are a bit lost and just look like random flashing, but having the preview window on top and moveable is a plus over Vixen. I'll still need a bit more a play before I decide which way I'll go, as I'll need to start sequencing very soon!

Once you get to know XL4 better you will see how incredibly versatile it is for all your display elements. I'ts not just geared towards megatrees and matrices although it does make putting great effects on these very easy. Once you play around with it a bit more and look at the various settings that can be changed for each effect you will see how it is just as good for roof, window, gutter ourlines, singing faces, arches, pixicles ets. It is a very versatile piece of software and supper fast to process the effects, even on older computers. I converted from LSP and have found that I can do everything and more that I could do with LSP, and a hell of a lot faster. Add in the use of the free Piskel app and animations are a snap to add to your sequence. I have never used Vixen so can't comment on a comparison but I am loving using XL4.