Removing the Multi-Function from Chinese made light string.

gavaphro

New elf
Hi all. I've scoured the web and this forum seems to be teh best place for people willing to share expert knowledge helping those of us suffering for simple trying to save a few $/£ on fairy lights.

I'm asking for help with this problem transformer that doesn't have a selection memory. My circuit looks similar but too different to all the others on your pages I've seen to fill me with soldering iron confidence.

Teh lighst are fab and are for permanent out door pate, so having to press the MF button 7 times each time I use them is a real pain.

Here is an image of the unit
5z2lwp.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/5z2lwp.jpg

Lights were bought here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131023067388?euid=4543b0acc8964082a808cfd73d9cd82c&cp=1

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The pictures aren't sensational but it looks like there is 2 wires in (mains) and 2 wires out of the pcb. If the entire string turns on and off at the same time all the time then you may be able to mod something up but I'm thinking that these lights are similar to the Big W lights over here in Aus and they now have a more complicated drive circuitry which allows for cheaper led wiring. This means that only half the lights can be turned on at any 1 time.

gavaphro

New elf
Hi thanks for the answer.

(yes, two wires in for tthe mains) and two wires out.

The button steps through the standard 8 functions (combo, waves, sequential, slo glo.. steady on)
Steady On is the function where all the lights are on.

Do you need pictures in better detail or of anything more sepcific ?

Would a possibility be to simply connect the wires that come from the path after any resistors after the current has been through the copper coil, connect those to go to the string ? Or is that way too basic....

scamper

Dedicated elf
Sorry, but that is way too basic.
The steady on is only an illusion also, the circuitry switches the lights on and off faster than you can see, as it is cheaper to modify the circuit than add the extra cable, hence the reason they have gone to 2 wires.