Request Wiring diagram/pinout for ECG-PPD-D and ECG-PPR-A

Wolfie

Full time elf
I can't seem to find wiring diagrams, jumper settings or anything for these two. The PPR has 2 4-pin greenies. Looking at the board, appears that the lower one is the pixel output. But the upper one? And how do you set the voltage out to pixel, 5v/12v I mean?

I have searched google to no avail. Lots of ECG stuff (heart), nothing really for these.

prof

Apprentice elf
Do you have good quality pictures of the units showing the terminal markings.

I have a PPD-D Rev 1.2 purchased earlier this year. But only have a PPR-B Rev 1.5

I do have a PPR-A drawing that I have no idea where I got it from (title block dates it as 2011), but it shows the unit has 2x 8 pin connectors and a 5 pin connector so probably will not be of any use to you.

Wolfie

Full time elf
Just taking a 5 minute breather, daylight fading :( I will try to get some good photos and post them. Thanks for trying help, you folks here sure have been helpful to a guy just getting started. Its really appreciated.

prof

Apprentice elf
These are the drawings for the units - looks like they match what you have.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6wkynn44j3coxm/PPD-C.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dfsw9161yjiu52/PPR-A.pdf?dl=0

The PPD uses the voltage (+V) on port P1 to power the onboard electronics for the whole board.
The +V for each port P1 to P4 individually feeds up each cat5 cable to each receiver.

On the photo of the bottom of the receiver board at the top (double stacked connector P1), the terminals closest to the edge of the board are left to right 5,6,7,8 and the inner set are from left to right 1,2,3,4.

On connector P2 the jumpers are between 2-3 and 4-5. This is set to use the voltage coming up the cat5 cable to utilize the onboard regulator to generate the 5V for the electronics. I believe from memory this means you need to be sending at least 7 Volts up the cable from your controller.

The jumper on P1 is between 3-4. This takes the onboard 5V and uses it to power the pixels with 5V (only good for 1 Amp or so). And no good if you have 12V pixels.

So, what you intend to connect to the receiver (pixel wise - quantity and voltage) is the next question.

Prof.

prof

Apprentice elf
Also just found the PPI-A drawing, and EDs videos on UBL setup and for the PIX-AD8 / P12R for the version 2.0 release of the firmware.

Wolfie

Full time elf
prof said:
Also just found the PPI-A drawing, and EDs videos on UBL setup and for the PIX-AD8 / P12R for the version 2.0 release of the firmware.

I could use the PPI too. Have two of those. I should collect all the documentation I can on his stuff since it seems to be like pulling teeth to get info about them. I have defiantly learned my lesson with J1sys. The P12 may be a good board, but the information about any other of his products is almost non-existent.

I just pray I don't ever need his UBL. I screwed around with the UBL on the D2 last night for over an hour trying to guess when to press the "connect" button to get into the IP config. Without fail, I didn't get the hardware notice in windows until after the flashy light went to normal heartbeat. I gave up and finally added a 192 IP to my machine so I could get to the web interface and reset it to the 10. network.

Total PITA.

Wolfie

Full time elf
prof said:
These are the drawings for the units - looks like they match what you have.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z6wkynn44j3coxm/PPD-C.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dfsw9161yjiu52/PPR-A.pdf?dl=0

The PPD uses the voltage (+V) on port P1 to power the onboard electronics for the whole board.
The +V for each port P1 to P4 individually feeds up each cat5 cable to each receiver.

On the photo of the bottom of the receiver board at the top (double stacked connector P1), the terminals closest to the edge of the board are left to right 5,6,7,8 and the inner set are from left to right 1,2,3,4.

On connector P2 the jumpers are between 2-3 and 4-5. This is set to use the voltage coming up the cat5 cable to utilize the onboard regulator to generate the 5V for the electronics. I believe from memory this means you need to be sending at least 7 Volts up the cable from your controller.

The jumper on P1 is between 3-4. This takes the onboard 5V and uses it to power the pixels with 5V (only good for 1 Amp or so). And no good if you have 12V pixels.

So, what you intend to connect to the receiver (pixel wise - quantity and voltage) is the next question.

Prof.

Thank you very much for taking time to find those drawings! Grabbed the PDFs into my dropbox. Appreciate those. I just wish the company was as forthcoming with info as you kind folks are around here.

I will likely replace the feed to my star mega tree topper line with the ECG extenders. I had to put 2 null pix in its data line. I am already feeding 12v up for the star so it should be ok with those ECG extenders. I can't imagine feeding any pixel string with enough power sent through any reasonable length of cat 5. The strands are too small to carry serious current.

Thinking I wasn't going to ever get these PPD/PPR going, I got 5 Max485 chips last week and was going to make my own pixel extenders. With 4 of those chips (2 send, 2 receive), I can run two pixel streams and 5v through a Cat5. 5th is a backup. With 6 of the chips, you can get 3 pixel streams through a single Cat 5. With 8 you can get 4 streams through but you have to power the receivers with 5v at the other end. I was planning on 1 twisted pair feeding 5v and ground and still have 3 signal streams. That will significantly reduce wiring. I can have two channels for windows and my eve channel through a single cat 5. All it takes is a little perf board, some 8p sockets and these chips (ebay).

prof

Apprentice elf

Wolfie

Full time elf
I don't believe that cat5 can carry the current needed to run a significant number of pixels. I would be hesitent to draw more than 2a though the rj45 for power.

I feed power direct to the mega tree star. I will also have dedicated PSUs for the window and eve lighting so I am only worried about transmitting data and enough power to run the receivers. Power will be fed to pixels direct from a psu close by the pixels.

Again, I thank you for your kind and generous help!

prof

Apprentice elf
OK, sending 12V up the cat5 to power the receiver you would leave the P2 jumpers as is.
You should remove the jumper in P1 on terminals 3-4 for peace of mind. That way you can use the terminals on P1 to connect in the power supply. As a minimum you should connect the 0V of the power supply to pin 1 of P1 to give a common reverence. You could also connect the +12V to pin 4 of P1. then the first pixel string could connect to 5,6,7,8.

Wolfie

Full time elf
If I read this right, it doesn't appear like the PPD4 can be powered from 5v. The only power input seems to be from P1 which is fed direct to a voltage regulator with no jumpers like his other designs. In all his other designs, when feeding the regulator, a minimum of 7v is needed as there is a drop across the regulator.

This is dumb IMHO. This prevents me from feeding that one channel from a 5v pixel output from the controller. Unfortunately, all my pixel outputs on the controller are 5v. This means I have to put a 12v supply in with the controller just to power this one board. Or, I can unsolder the regulator sub assembly and jumper Vi to Vo so I can run the PPD on 5v.

prof

Apprentice elf
Are all the pixels that are being connected to the receivers running at 12V?

Thinking outside of the box here. If the pixels are 12V and your controller can only supply 5V, why not utilize the 12V at the receiver to connect onto any PXX+V terminal on the receiver which will back feed down the cable to the driver. Only thing to ensure is that you DO NOT connect the +5V on the controller to the driver (leave pin 4 empty on P1-P4). Connect just the gnd, data, clk if used. [SIZE=small]You only need to do it this way on the one the one that connects to P1 on the driver. If you do not want to back feed down the cables on the other ones, take the jumper out of P2 pins 2-3 and connect the +12V onto P2 pin 3. This will supply the regulator only. Still think you need to take out the jumper on P1 pins 3-4 and most definitely do not connect on to P1 pin 3 by mistake.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]Something to think about as it will be bad if you get it wrong.[/SIZE]

Wolfie

Full time elf
Its not that the controller (a P12) can't supply 12v, its that I wasn't going to put a 12v supply there since I was not feeding anything out of its channels that needed 12v. And the eve pixels will draw too much power to supply their power through the cat5 so the 12v supply was going to be mounted at or near the corner of the house (which is not where the controller is).

Hmm. Not all are 12v, no. But the strand along the eves is. The pix on the windows are all 5v. Or will be if I ever get to wiretieing them on the frames!

Had to look at the diagram. Sure enough the PPD does tie the Vi to the regulator to the power feed through the Cat5. I could feed it into the PPX line on P1/2, and on P2 jumper 2-3 and 4-5. That would supply 5v for the PPR and backfeed 12v (on channel 1) to the PPD.

I have some small nylon screws I could nip down shorter and put in P1/4 to plug the hole so I wouldn't accidentally connect the V+ from the controller feed.

But its still dumb not to have the regulator bypass jumpers on the PPD. Its not like there isn't plenty of physical room on the PPD to put a simple jumper header.

Cheers for thinking outside the box. The controller box :D