RGB Configurator spreadsheet

smeighan

Dedicated elf
I have built a spreadsheet for myself to compare the different ways to build up an rgb display. I did this so I could compare prices and observe how prices have step functions. If you are using a board that can drive 12 strings and you want to have 14 strings, now you need two boards.

you can find the OpenOffice and Excel spreadsheets on the releases page.
http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases/

Try it out. Try string counts of 8,12,16,20,32 .etc.

I would ask that this not turn into a war about which controller is better. I am unbiased. I just wanted to compare data. I am using Pixelnet now, my next expansion may be to j1sys p12r or e682.

Some notes:
I tried to use the prices posted on pages. I have not used most of what i put here, please post corrections to things i got wrong.

I am not trying to compare features. That is probably another exercise. For example

Pixelnet Active hubs: only drive 180x strings
Pixelnet Zeus hub: 180x and ws2811
dpitts/mykroft board: 180x and ws2811
p12r: WS2801, LPD6803, and TM180x
e682: GE pixels, 1804, 1903, 2801, 2811 , 3001, 3005, 6803, 8806 , 9813

So by the number of pixel types e682 is the champ. But I own 1809 strings so i dont need the extra types.

Others:
Pixelnet Active hubs: drives 16 strings
Pixelnet Zeus hub: drives 16 strings
dpitts/mykroft board: drives 16 strings
p12r: drives 12 strings
e682: drives 16 strings.

But the p12r can have the most pixels.

This is what i mean about comparing features. The spreadsheet was only meant to get an idea of the cost of the different choices.

I assumed all strings would be mounted on 1/2" 10' emt like i did for my megatree. Since they are the same for all 5 choices they dont effect the price. It does remind people you have to budget for mounting your rgb device.
Likewise i used a marine battery case for mounting power supplies and boards for all 5.

I couldnt find Ray Wu's link to the 12v ws2811. Can someone post it?
I didnt see a price for the p12r as a kit. so 4 of the 5 are kits and the p12r is a completely assembled board. Probably adds $70 as compared to the other 4.

What this spreadsheet shows me is
the largest cost are the strings
the cost takes some big steps when you cross the boundary requiring a new board

hope it is helpful.

sean

rgb_configurator.jpg

jcmarksafb

Hello from Christopher Creek Arizona

smeighan

Dedicated elf
JCMarksafb said:

Thanks i updated spreadsheet and posted new one on the releases page.
I also removed prompting for the number of nodes on a string. Now you tell me how long (4m or 5m) and how many nodes per meter for the string you are using.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Great work with the spread sheet but i do have some concerns with the way this is done. You are using strings as the number for capability but with 20 strings both the P12R and the E682 show you require 2 controllers. This is incorrect because a standard 5vdc string is 50 nodes and strip will vary so the comparison should be based on pixel output rather than strings. I dont think its actually giving a true picture of the capabilaties because a single output can have 3 strings connected to it, so with the p12r for running 20 strings you require 2 P12R and a similar thing with the E682 when in fact this far from the real fact when doing a cost comparison as only 1 is needed.

But its great start and thanks for sharing

smeighan

Dedicated elf
posted version 3 of spreadsheet

This has updated price for ws2811 12v flex strips and updated links
corrected two places where the sum was missing the first line.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Great work with the spread sheet but i do have some concerns with the way this is done. You are using strings as the number for capability but with 20 strings both the P12R and the E682 show you require 2 controllers. This is incorrect because a standard 5vdc string is 50 nodes and strip will vary so the comparison should be based on pixel output rather than strings. I dont think its actually giving a true picture of the capabilaties because a single output can have 3 strings connected to it, so with the p12r for running 20 strings you require 2 P12R and a similar thing with the E682 when in fact this far from the real fact when doing a cost comparison as only 1 is needed.

Ok, i think i can add this into the spreadsheet.

Am i correct that one string of p12r can drive 170 nodes, 510 channels? How much current can one string drive?

Now the 1809 has 128 nodes so does that mean i can only drive one per string on the p12r? 2 of them would be 256 nodes.

For the 12v ws2811 there are 50 nodes. So i could drive 3 of these per string port on the p12r?

20 ws2811's would therefor be 3 of them per string so 6 strings of 3 each and a 7th string driving 2?
the p12r drives 12x170 nodes or 2040 nodes,6120 channels?

Does the E682 also drive 170 pixels per string, they have 16 strings. or 2720 nodes, 8160 channels per e682?

I also assume if you tie multiple strings together you will need power injection. For the p12r with 20 ws2811 12v
flex strips how many power supplies would i need?

If i understand both of these boards better, ill make the spreadsheet match they way people actually would use it.

thanks
sean

gigogig

gigogig
a p12r can do 12 strings of 170 nodes.
probably worth adding a ecg-p2 configuration
as well as a ecg-d2 + uDCG-P2
as well as Rainbow Pixels
[/size] as well as mph's hardware
[/size]
[/size]and the 682 suposadly can do 2040 pixels as well, but i dont know how those are layed out over the 16 outputs

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Personally i dislike the word 'Strings' being used to describe output capability because its misleading and confusing. A string can come in many forms, a strip can also come in may forms and then there are modules which can be considered as a string. So using the word strings to describe how many can be connected to a particular controller doesnt give a good picture because what is the definition of a string.

Its pixels we should be discussing because this then takes into account any RGB light that can be connected regardless of the physical configuration. To me a string is a string and a string in its correct design is 5vdc 50 nodes because thats how they are sold but others will use 12vdc 128 pixels strings and call that a string.

I think removing the word string from an output capability stand point and changing this to pixel output will allow this spread sheet to become a lot more flexable and less confusing and not open to misinterpretation.

If we are going to include DIY options with built options then we should include pixel output capability because anyone building a board will also have the skills to do power injection.

But after saying all of that we appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this together, im mearly just suggesting a way to make this more universally usable across the wide range of RGB pixels that are being used within the hobby. :D

smeighan

Dedicated elf
gigogig said:
a p12r can do 12 strings of 170 nodes.
probably worth adding a ecg-p2 configuration
as well as a ecg-d2 + uDCG-P2
as well as Rainbow Pixels
as well as mph's hardware

and the 682 suposadly can do 2040 pixels as well, but i dont know how those are layed out over the 16 outputs

Released a new version. It now tries to fit as many strings as will fit into 170 nodes.
so a ws2811 has 50 nodes so it computes 3 strings per connector.

Before if i tried 32 ws2811's it said it needed 3 ps12r's, now it says it needs 1.
I also added the p12r running 1809 4mx30nodes. This comes out as needing 3 p12r's.

probably getting closer?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
smeighan said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:

Ok, i think i can add this into the spreadsheet.

Am i correct that one string of p12r can drive 170 nodes, 510 channels? How much current can one string drive?

Now the 1809 has 128 nodes so does that mean i can only drive one per string on the p12r? 2 of them would be 256 nodes.

For the 12v ws2811 there are 50 nodes. So i could drive 3 of these per string port on the p12r?

20 ws2811's would therefor be 3 of them per string so 6 strings of 3 each and a 7th string driving 2?
the p12r drives 12x170 nodes or 2040 nodes,6120 channels?

Does the E682 also drive 170 pixels per string, they have 16 strings. or 2720 nodes, 8160 channels per e682?

I also assume if you tie multiple strings together you will need power injection. For the p12r with 20 ws2811 12v
flex strips how many power supplies would i need?

If i understand both of these boards better, ill make the spreadsheet match they way people actually would use it.

thanks
sean

You can find some info on the J1sys controllers by taking a look at the product matrix here, or you could download the ACL P12R manual which will also give you more details and diagrams

Brian000

Aviation visual reference engineer
Nice job, just a few things to consider.....
My LOR-CCP came with two 50 pixel strands for less than the price of one CCR.
My box of 2811's from Ray worked out to about $24 for each 50 pixel strand inc shipping. (Hopefully I got a deal)