RGB Flood Light

Gilrock

Full time elf
I saw something similar to this on holidaycoro and thought hey I've already got some of those modules so I can try to build one of those. It was fun to build. I had my son do most of the work to try to get him off of Minecraft for a few minutes. I only had the smart modules so it uses more channels than necessary. I've only tested it inside and it wasn't as bright as I was hoping.

RGBFloodLight.jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I tried a custom board with 48 x 5050 RGB LEDs and was similarly disappointed.

The 10W 12V RGB DMX floods from Ray Wu (~ $25) were much better.

Gilrock

Full time elf
Well I wanted to get it hooked up outside before I decided if I liked it but it did cost $27 to buy the housing I trashed so I think the Ray Wu ones will be my choice going forward.

Robert

Apprentice elf
If you want to go the DIY route. I purchased some 10w RGB LEDs from eBay, they were cheap. I got some flood housings. And finally got some 10W Driver Boards from

https://www.tindie.com/products/RobG/10w-rgb-led-driver-pcb/

I think all combined I paid around $15 for all the pieces to build a flood

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The DIY floods were great in their time but now the Cheap floodlights from Ray Wu make the DIY floods somewhat obsolete due to the cost and performance differences

kane

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
I think he has a 30W version too but it's 24V.

Yes, I have a couple of these, but they're massive! They throw a heap of light though.. Was annoying to have to run 24v around as well though - would have been much better at 12v.

scamper

Dedicated elf
I don't know how much difference this would make, But...
If you used less lights and turned some of them sideways, you may actually get more light output due to the reflector doing it's job.
The reflector is usually made in such a way that is focus's the light, so by covering it up and not having any light bouncing off it, you really are just putting led's behind a piece of glass.

Habbosrus

Back again
David_AVD said:
I tried a custom board with 48 x 5050 RGB LEDs and was similarly disappointed.

The 10W 12V RGB DMX floods from Ray Wu (~ $25) were much better.
Hey David, Is this the one you're referring to? I want to look into getting something for next year. Would these be controlled easily with Alan's 2811DC15/30?

Habbosrus

Back again
David_AVD said:
Current links seem to be this one and this one. The 30W 24V version is this one. Personally I would never purchase the mains powered versions.

They are DMX input. No controller required, but you will need a DMX source.
Sorry my link didn't work. The second one of your links is the one I was looking at. I'll have to read up a little more as your comments have me a little confused (nothing new).

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Those floods are DMX input so will run from a USB-DMX dongle or a DMX interface such as an ECG-D4, etc.

You can even run them from one of the DMX outputs on a ECG-P12S.

They do not connect to a DC controller or pixel output.