RGB in Da House...

nutz4lights

Full time elf
...No, literally, I put some RGB in the house :p

I have been wanting to do this for awhile in our kitchen and family room. This video is the family room (kitchen effort will begin next).

https://vimeo.com/album/2723819/video/100665554

The family room has roughly 7m tall (20') ceilings and there is a niche in which I built a solid maple shelf with crown moulding. I had an idea that I could mount dumb RGB strip on that crown moulding and it would glow up that wall quite nicely. I ended up finding RGB+WW strip that I liked better and now I can get classical warm white or RGB, which is the best of both worlds in my opinion. The crown moulding is a 45 degree type solid maple crown, so it was only hitting the lower part of the wall. I decided to add a second strip that points almost straight up from a distance of roughly 1/2m off the wall.

I used these Mi Light RGBW controllers with the four zone RF remote. My goal is to have three zones of these in the kitchen and then the fourth zone in the family room. I started with the family room. I have tested the RF nature of the remote and it worked corner to corner in our house, which is around 25m or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-Compatible-RGB-White-Controller-Kit-4pcs-RGBW-Multi-Zone-Controller-Remote-/131189337176?pt=US_Lighting_Parts_and_Accessories&var=&hash=item1e8b7e6c58

The RGBW strip is actually RGB + WW and are from the Super Night brand easily available from Amazon or eBay. Again, I used two of the 5m strips, each of which are cut down to around 4m because that niche is roughly 4m wide.

Enjoy,

-Louie

battle79

Full time elf
Love the look. Put it on a really slow fade and turn down brightness a bit should give good mood lighting.

I have been looking into doing this with Pixels around my back entertaining area.

Problem is ray (and others) have many controller options with pre-set patterns and fades, But the remote part always seems to look really cheap and second rate. I'm sure they work, but I want something with at least some styling to control the system.

A RasPi and a smart phone is looking to be the winner in my search for control gear. Can run up to two universes straight off Pi these days. More than enough to cover my basic needs.

Regards,
Rowan

nutz4lights

Full time elf
Ya the speed and brightness are adjustable directly on the remote.The brightness is actually much softer in real life, the phone can always over exposes.

I'm in the same boat as you with the back of the house. I plan on doing pixels in our screened in pool area. The pool screen is white so I just had Ray make me some Technicolor pixel strings with white string and bulbs as well as milky white g40 bulb covers. As you stated, the remotes for these are really the tricky part... I struggled for quite some time to find a multizone remote for the dumb rgb thing I wanted indoors... until this setup popped on the market. I ordered a wifi pixel controller from Ray and plan on trying the Technicolor string for the pool area with that Wi-Fi controller... and my smart phone obviously.

Louie

arw01

Full time elf
check out this companies RGBW controller, it can do a few other things as well, and they have a few other interesting zwave items as well.

A couple of fellows with ISY-994i devices use them is zwave antenna on the ISY to control lights or read sensors and are happy with them.

http://www.fibaro.com/

arw01

Full time elf
Since the hue came out, I have thought it would be nice to have some "alerts" in light colors. Like for the wife in the bathroom in the morning that it's close to her leave time for work to take a couple lights yellow, and if they are still on when she is going to be late they fade red for a moment.

When the door bell rings it's a differnet color flash, or when the washer or dryer are running it can be one shade and change when they are done, etc..

Alan