RGB Pixel Mix 5V and 12V

tbateson

New elf
I currently am running 1,350 2811 Pixels using J1Sys P12R Controller and 2 5V Power supplies. I want to double that with Ray Wu 12V RGB Pixels.

Question is - can I connect: Computer -> J1Sys P12R Controller -> New undetermined 12V Controller, or do both Controllers have to be on separate nets? Wire diagrams and/or hints would be GREATLY appreciated.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
the power supply has to be separate that's all. the controllers will go back to a network switch and that is really the only connection between the 2 controllers

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The data signals for all pixels is 5V regardless of whether they are 5V or 12V. As long as you keep the positive supply separated from the 2 you can actually chop and change 5V and 12V pixels on a given output. The 0V line has to be common across the power supplies.

Welcome to ACL by the way :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
There are drawings in the ACL 101 lighting manual that should show this

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=1889.0

Most controllers have 2 banks for power so you can use 2 different voltages. You can also uses different voltages within the same output/string as all you need to do is ensure the +V is not connected between the supplies and string, but the ground (-V) is connected between the power supplies/strings