RGB Pixels and Nodes not lighting

christish2006

New elf
Hi All,

I received lights from Ray today and during testing found that both the Pixicles and RGB Square nodes dont light from controller. There are 4 strings of the Nodes and 5 of the Pixicles, problem exists with all of them.

The common thing is that these strings all have the three wire pigtail connector. I tried cutting that off on one string and wiring into the controller as per the wiring on the circuit board of the first node. Still didn't light - although if I apply 12v do it the lights briefly light then go out.

All sets are supposed to be 12V WS2811 which is what my controller is set to. I also tried connecting to a WS2811 tester and still no good.

I have contacted Ray, but has anybody come across this at all before??, I even connected only those strings to my PSU which is rated for 33A at 12v.

RGB Strip light and the rectangular Pixel Modules seem to work perfectly. Am I just unlucky or is there something I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Chris

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Try and confirm that the input is in fact the input and that the correct wires are being used. Don't base it from colour as this can change. They may have connected the pig tails to the wrong end
The other issue is that some 2811/2812 have been known to fail the first pixel if they are plugged in with power on

bbayjohn

Senior elf
If a light came on briefly I'm guessing the power is correct and the earth and data may need swapping over.

christish2006

New elf
Thanks for the suggestions I will check again when I get home.

On the string that I cut the pigtail off, I think I wired the wires correctly as per the diagram on the circuit board on the node. and the flow of data was going with the arrows.

When you say it fails to the first node if plugged in with power on, if I removed that node would I expect the string to start working?, I plugged them in initially with no power applied

Also I tested voltage at the end of the string and it's around 5v, input is 12v. I wouldn't think it would need power injection when it's only one string and the controller running from the 12v supply?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If these are 12vdc strings and you have 5v at the end of the string then that is a lot of dropped voltage. I would expect more to see 9 or so volts at the end

christish2006

New elf
Thanks All,

I just needed to reverse the ground and data wires as was suggested in the thread. Ray sent me an updated wiring diagram for the pigtails. The one he had supplied with the initial order was wired the other way around.

Cheers for the help :) :)