Rockhampton Christmas Lights - after full pixel conversion

jaredo

if (blink==true){ doFlash(); }
Previous years I've been running between 12-14,000 std LED strings, decided to go all in and convert my display over to use pixels.

I must admit I got somewhat carried away during the conversion, I ended up putting in a lot more than I intended. But I wanted to fill/fit/keep the show at roughly the same size.

I ended up making everything modular, head and tail plugs on everything, MegaTree 2 piece collapsible center & the top-hat is removable.

Happy with the result though and heaps more versatile.
The show runs about 13 sequences, varied between carols, dubstep and rock (ACDC, queen)

I jumped on the FPP bandwagon also, the amount of work put into that system is insane. And it just works.
Vixen 3 also turned out to be great to use, had a few issues to begin with that were later patched and after that it never missed a beat and got the job done.

Display consists of:
4M high, 1053 Pixel MegaTree (24 x 42pix + 45pix star)
1064 Pixel Matrix (19*56)
36M of roof outline (360 pixels, 4M segments)
9 Reindeer (84pixels each)
1 Sleigh (100 pixels)
4 Arches (42px each)
7 Mini Trees (84pix each)
16 natural trees (42px each)
7 columns(21pix each)
1 TuneTo sign
40 (B/W) LED strings a acting as piano keys on the room (replacing with WS2811 stars in 2016) via 27ch Ray Wu DMX

Attachments

• IMG_3642-h.jpg
    IMG_3642-h.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3670-h - Copy.jpg
    IMG_3670-h - Copy.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3800-h.jpg
    IMG_3800-h.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 72

jaredo

if (blink==true){ doFlash(); }
Thanks guys. I look at the display and think it could be better some how haha. I really short changed myself with the garden lighting, still looks amazing but I need to up the density next year (probably to about 32 sets, so about 84px per tree).

I have some WS2811 10W floods (RobG's) for next year from a group buy on planetchrsitmas.

People view the show from about 60-70M away so the spacing of everything works well. The site is different to the in-town blocks of land most people have in the cities ect. We have about 6 arces behind the house and I think we can fit about 20 cars across the front on one side haha.

I will have videos eventually, been quite busy with random bugs and a freak storm blowing that megatree down :(