Roof lines - pixabulbs, bullets, strip?

JoeBob

New elf
I’m curious what most people recommend for gutter and roof lines? The C9-like pixabulbs, bullet nodes, or strips, or something else?

From what I’ve read, I might try staying away from strips as much as possible this first year. I like the C9 look, but I wanted to get some opinions and pros/cons for different light types.

If using bullet nodes or C9 types, do you generally connect each bulb to the house with a clip, or attach to conduit or PVC before attaching to the house?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I have used strip for the past 4 years. It is very good for straight clean lines.
That said I'm swapping to pixel nodes this year mounted in Boscoyo Chromatrim, as I wanted a more "traditional" bulb look (but the C9's I believe do a better job of this)
Opinions vary but I find strip harder to repair, particularly to waterproof again. With nodes, as they are already waterproofed, its a matter of chopping out and replacing really.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Same as above I have strip on my roof outline for a couple of years but got sick of the niggly problems so it will all get replaced this year with bullets.

Goliath

Full time elf
I used Ray Wu's square nodes, cable tied to PVC, which was in turn cable tied to the roof. I stuck cable tie mounts to the roof with silastic. I found the square nodes to be pretty poorly sealed against water ingress, and therefore problematic. The last two years I've just put a 1000 or 2000 (can't remember which) run of colored buds along the roofline.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...lgo_pvid=0e8a962c-b95d-47ce-8f70-5127838e47ac

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
I've found a lot of members from the States like C9's I haven't really seen many Australians use them.

Me personally I have been using PVC conduit with wholes drilled every 2 inches then sliding in a 12v Bullet node. Then I use saddles from the conduit and then either screw or hook it into the gutter.

JPB

Full time elf
As per the pictures, I use square conduit with holes drilled to take the C9 style covers from Ray Wu and the put bullet nodes in them. Painted black to suit the black gutter. And then stored using velcro cable ties in the ceiling of the garage in the off season.
20131124_130417 (Medium).jpg 20150107_081222 (Medium).jpg 20131124_130351 (Medium).jpg 20131124_130519 (Medium).jpg

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I found the square nodes to be pretty poorly sealed against water ingress, and therefore problematic.
Out of interest, do the wires go in/out the sides of the square nodes, or from the back? I've heard that the side entry types can be prone to some water ingress, but the rear type ones have far less, if any water ingress issues at all. I have the later so fingers crossed!

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!

Kotche

Apprentice elf
As per the pictures, I use square conduit with holes drilled to take the C9 style covers from Ray Wu and the put bullet nodes in them. Painted black to suit the black gutter. And then stored using velcro cable ties in the ceiling of the garage in the off season.
View attachment 13291 View attachment 13292 View attachment 13289 View attachment 13290
NVM. Just re-read your post. How quick are they to install each time you put them up? And you have permanent brackets they clip into or how to you fix them? Nice job.

Binny

Apprentice elf

BigRedNole

New elf
@JPB Very nice and clean look. I like how that is setup. If I can find that in the US, I think that is the route I may go.